Monday, December 31, 2012

The Less Miserables - Raw Smackdown 12'

A taste of things to come
RAW

Is the word that best describes what I saw in the latest screen adaptation of the stellar 1980 musical. True to contemporary tastes in film, this movie wants to take an old classic story or characters and show us the rough and emotionally naked core of something familiar. The fresh 21st century view of unflinching realism... or so we are led to believe.

So naturally with these elements working I LOVED THIS MOVIE. Not perfect and certainly not as good as the play, but emotionally stirring and perhaps the best possible adaptation. I know I'm a weeper and this film got the water works flowing. The acting was top notch for Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman. What can I say, the guy just nailed it. (I'll forgive a few high notes that no dude with a pair can hit, much less a true Australian Haas like him).

This is an "IN YOUR FACE" film so I don't think I could re-watch it for six months. Seriously, if you have a fetish for facial close ups, this movie is a gratuitous buffet of visual delights. I'd normally say it was too much, but I appreciate Hooper pushing the envelope in this regard giving the film a unique look and feel. 5 years from now each song will be classic on YouTube (assuming it still exists).

One thing I give the movie credit for is fleshing out details of the play that I had not imagined before. While the play is the superior way to experience this music, the movie really fleshes out scenes and details. So this is the one point where the film exceeds the play in awesomeness.

So go get awesome, but be prepared to have your heart ripped open.

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Sweet. I love the convict's haircut. (Almost as much as I enjoy mine from some of our home videos.)

I'm looking forward to completing my training and seeing this, some day.