Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The Hobbit at 48fps & 2:30

Its been a busy week but I figured it was time to weigh in on my viewing of The Hobbit last weekend. I was excited to see a film adaptation where the problem is not how to condense a huge book into a 2 hour movie, but how to stretch one book into 3, 3 HOUR MOVIES. Its almost as if some studio executive posed this problem and suddenly:


Yes, with the great corporate power of Barnabus Stinson behind him, Peter Jackson found the will to make MORE MONEY OFF ONE BOOK THAN ANY OTHER IN THE HISTORY OF CINEMA. Its too early to say, but I'm certain when this is all done, it will be the highest grossing book adaptation of all times. But enough of my anti-capitalist pig venom.

Many complained about the 48fps. It was a beautiful movie like the trilogy before it, but if I hadn't been told about the technology, I don't think I would have wondered about it. Since I have completely shunned 3D movies, I have no comment on that realm.

Overall, this is a fantastic movie. I will say it is much too slow to get started and some of the action sequences seemed stretched to hit a quota of "action." The Shire portion of the movie could have easily been cut by 20 mins. I've heard others say it and it rings true - Its like watching a movie with all of the deleted scenes added back into the film. But I shall not complain. Is there ever too much time in Middle Earth? I only lament the original LOTR series didn't get two films per book as Tolkien intended with his book 1 & 2 structure.

My only complaint - An old wizard with an enormous turd on his head riding a sleigh pulled by roid rabbits!? C'MON MAN! Was that really in any of Tolkien's book? Radagahst just became the Jar-Jar of LOTR.

In the end, I am pleased to say I passed the test Peter Jackson imposes on all his audiences:


5 comments:

Julie Fletcher said...

Even though I was totally sitting next to you in the theater and heard this entire speech on the ride home, you write the most eloquent movie reviews in the world. It is an honor to be married to you and I can't wait to make your next casserole.

P.S.
I hope this blog didn't come at the expense of your day job, we have a lot of bills to pay! Love you!

Daniel said...

Hmm. I also enjoyed your review. Looking forward to seeing it (perhaps in theaters).

On the other hand, I'm unsure if I have the urinary fortitude to take the challenge.

I'm intrigued to hear the film could do so well (at least with the F-Word). I expected to hear it underwhelmed. I feel like Gandalf, after he chooses to go one direction because the air smells better that way.

Julie Fletcher said...

I am so sick and tired of you hacking my email account and commenting on your blog. I'm sure under some law its a crime and undermines the trust of our entire relationship.

Also, we can do so much better than casserole.

Daniel said...

Err. Brain freeze, here.

Rooster said...

yawn...I literally took a 20 minute snooze during the first part. It was perfect. My wife summed up what I missed in two words ("not much") and I was energized for when the movie got good.