Saturday, November 26, 2011

Steak n Shake - Worth the Wait?

The great burger chain Steak n Shake has made its way to Denver. Some folks call it the In-n-Out of the east coast. I call it a very..................................................long wait in line. I pulled into line at 1:16 PM. I pulled out a 2:32 PM. The final insult is pulling up to the second window and watching the clock inside tick away showing how long you have been there. My time at the final window? 7:48.

Was the food worth the wait? Ultimately, I'd say no. Great by fast food standards but unfortunately, I didn't have nostalgia on my side to ease the pain as I reminisced in line. Good as In-n-Out? No. Especially since these guys are missing all of the fun animal style stuff. Plus IIO knows how to make a line move fast.

I must acknowledge this is within the first month of opening and the line was bound to be long. I think the wait says more about me than it does the joint. 
  1. I am willing to spend a tremendous amount of time to eat something that will kill me.
  2. After figuring for opportunity cost, I just blew hundreds of dollars to eat something that will kill me.
  3. I spent enough time in line today to have my wife kill me.  
Death surrounds this place. "YOU KNEW WHAT I WAS WHEN YOU PICKED ME UP." And now for a  classic video.



They did apologize to me for the wait as I left. I think they should have said, "Thanks for waiting and being a moron." At least when I waited this long at Krispy Kreme I got a free doughnut while waiting in line. And what's with these places serving greasy food handing out paper hats? Its like wearing a dunce hat. Look at how long I waited in line to eat grease!

Once again, very tasty, but wait another year and enjoy your food without the time value of money guilt added onto the typical fast food guilt.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Steak 'N' Shake, eh? Here I've had at least one or two nearby for over two years, and I've failed to zoom in or out even once . . . I'm sad to hear it failed to measure up.

I loved the dunce cap imagery and, as one of the true, inner circle death eaters of this blog, I fully expect to see some photographic evidence of this honor, soon.

I very much relished the skeleton man with his cell phone.

I also enjoyed the shout out to your roots. You would have been what, 12, when you heard the story from the video for the first time?

Jay said...

That's SO weird. I JUST had a conversation online with someone telling me about this place. I gotta try it. :)