Monday, December 12, 2011

Mile High Magic

Once again the Denver Broncos football TEAM wins after an inexplicable comeback. Hats off to Matt Prater, who was the MVP in my mind. Was Tebow great in the 4th quarter and OT? Absolutely. Did the Broncos get lucky? Of course.

Tebow should put Marion Barber on his Christmas Card list and thank Cutler and Forte for getting hurt. Let's not forget Charles Barkley for invoking more underdog karma on Tebow as well:

“I want to make a personal plea to Lance Briggs, Brian Urlacher, Mr. [Julius] Peppers, please stop the madness,” Barkley said Friday on ”The Waddle & Silvy Show” on ESPN 1000. “I’m just so tired … I like Tim Tebow. He seems like a good kid, and I wish him success, but I am Tebowed out. So this is my personal plea for you three guys, please stop this madness.”

[Tuhrrible, just tuhrrible]

Anyone who thinks God really cares about this team winning is nuts. Our players are starting to talk like its divine intervention. I'm sure some of the Bear's players said their prayers too. I get frustrated when players act like God is favoring them and find it bordering on sacrilege. I appreciate their desire to give God the glory and honor him, but when you start saying he likes you better than the next guy, I draw the line. Acts 10:34 - God is no respecter of persons.

I will concede that divine intervention may occur if it serves a higher purpose. At the least, it is a huge media story that focuses on a young man who is unafraid to talk about Jesus Christ, his faith and how it impacts his life. Perhaps God is letting all of us see the formula at work: Faith + Intense Effort = Miracles. Its a great message to have around during the Christmas season and in a world with plenty of economic and social unrest.

I will say it here and now: if Denver wins the Super Bowl, it will be the biggest sports story of all time. I still feel like I'm watching a movie every week. Heck, I could see a Moneyball type of film being made out of this season alone. The lock-out, Elway and Fox taking over, disastrous training camp, Orton getting benched, the billboards around town, the Miami comeback which was effectively a homecoming for Tebow, the list goes on... At least make this movie as an addendum to the 30 for 30 series.

Now for my Nostra-fletch-a-damus predictions.

  1. The Broncos loose to the Patriots next week. Why? See my prior post about Tom Brady's hair. Tebow still can't touch that. http://fletchword.blogspot.com/2011/10/hair-power-responsibility.html
  2. Broncos win the division (not a big surprise)
  3. Broncos loose in the first round of the playoffs - the intensity of those games requires four quarters of  your best effort. We clearly can't do that yet. 
Until next week with 2 minutes to go...

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Wow. So they did it again?

I agree with you on the no respecter part.

On the other hand, in terms of showing favor, see http://lds.org/scriptures/search?lang=eng&query=favored&x=0&y=0 and maybe this one, which perhaps applies to Tebow most aptly: http://lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/3.6?lang=eng#5