Sunday, October 30, 2011

Podcasts I Enjoy

This marks my 250th post. Amazing to think I've kept this up for nearly 5 years. I'm hoping I can continue to blog once its become totally irrelevant just to show how old I am.

Over the last month, I've done a tremendous amount of car travel for work. Thankfully there are free books on CD from the library, but I've also become a fan of podcasts as a free way to get hours of audio content. Here are some of my favorite shows. Most can be downloaded in mp3 format from their various websites if you don't belong to Steve Job's cult to the portable audio player of your choice.
  • HARDCORE HISTORY - Dan Carlin does an amazing job covering tough topics from the past. His storytelling style is great. I'm no expert so I can't comment on how high he rates on an academic scale (he is a lay-historian), but it is wonderfully entertaining. I recommend the Ghosts of the Osfront series.
  • The BS Report - I've been a fan of Bill Simmons for years and this podacast can be amazing when he has the right guest. The Michael Eisner and Al Michaels interviews were particularly awesome. His movie reviews with Adam Carolla (especially fast 5) are downright hilarious. Sometimes his shows with cousin Sal about the gambling lines are lame, but overall this podcast hits the spot for sports fans who also enjoy the history of the game and some other non-sports topics.
  • Grantland - This is a Bill Simmons spin off website that has a bunch of staff writers. They also do podcasts. My favorite from this group is Chuck Kolsterman. He loves sports but often discusses pop culture topics as well. His latest show on the rise and fall of MTV was very interesting. 
  • PTI - You know the show. Its typically on during the day. Its a nice overview of the current stories in sports.
  • Slacker & Steve - These guys are an afternoon show here in Denver that also plays some music. They tend to cover a bunch of social etiquette topics and let people air out the problems for public debate. Shows about embarrassing moments are also popular. Can't miss. 
  • Judge John Hodgman - Most comedy podcast have explicit content so I was thrilled to find this clean comedy act. Mr. Hodgman hears disputes over trivial things from people over skype and then passes judgement on them. Its Nerdist humour so of course I love it. Check it out below. 

This whole show is great, but I particularly love the snap judgement that occurs at 28 minutes in the podcast. Which do you think is better? 

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Thanks for sharing. I now expect a full summary from you on each, on a regular basis.