Wednesday, October 19, 2011

It Sucks to Suck

Before you assume I'm writing about "Suck for Luck" let me assure you I am not. A few hours ago I realized I had overwritten some work and the real file I wanted had been wiped out of existence. 15 years ago this would have led to a string of profanity bad enough to peel the paint off the walls. This clip sums it up well:



I'm happy to say I did not offend the entire office. However, I did multiple fist and elbow smashes (seriously) while calling myself a frigging idiot (repeatedly) and then slumped back into my chair and lamented, "it sucks to suck."

So I've been sitting here stewing in my juices and realize I only have two options. Either lie here in my ditch of self-imposed misery or fix the problem and live to fight another day. I will choose to fix and fight. Or better said, "I'm fixin to fight."

Now that I've calmed down a bit, I realize the world isn't coming to an end. I'm married to a beautiful and captivating woman that I simply don't deserve. I have four wonderful children who challenge me and bring a fullness to life I couldn't do without. God has not yet smitten me to the grave. Many, many blessings to count.

I just realized that sucking is generally a voluntary action. You have to choose to suck.  You may shoot yourself in the foot or punch yourself in the mouth, but you don't have to get down on the floor and suck up the blood and cry over it. Its better to clean the wound, bind it up, and punch your problems back in the mouth.

No one ever has to suck.

6 comments:

Rock Solid said...

I feel your pain. I think that we all have those moments at times. The key is how we react and move on.

Jay said...

When I was writing Time's Enemy, I wrote a whole chapter and somehow lost it. I was devastated, so much so that I didn't write for three days. I knew that I could never re-create that scene in it's original form. So, I finally decided to move on and write it again. That chapter ended up being SO much better than the original and, in my opinion, one of the best in the book. ;)

Daniel said...

Rough. What was the work? who was it for? how much was it? how long will it take to make up?

Yeah, I remember how back in the day, when I would play Castlevania all the way through, until I got to Dracula, the game would shut down! Oh, wait . . .

jachfamily said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fletch said...

CA: It was for work, I lost about 6 hours on a particular assignment. Since I have multiple jobs going at once, re-doing work on one has a domino effect on everything else. So its probably going to cost me 12 to 24 total hours of work. But to Jay's point, the second time around I did make it a bit better than before. Perhaps the valuation gods were smiting me.

Daniel said...

\m/