Sunday, August 23, 2015

The Temple, Marriage & Kids

Lately, this topic has been pressing on me. The world is rapidly changing, not just on the issue of same sex marriage, but we seem to have soured on marriage, monogamy and having kids altogether. I will freely admit, I've taken a great deal of pleasure in joking about these subjects and do feel somewhat guilty. I know its not all bad as humor is some of the best and most powerful catharsis for dealing with stress, but what I'd like to share this morning is crucial.

Last week during EQ, the instructor challenged us to take something from the lesson and make a note, send an email or text... ANYTHING to get us to apply what we were learning. Here is what I texted my wife (aka the Boss) on the fly and I believe by inspiration.

9. As distances allow, regularly attend the temple with your wife. Your children will then better understand the importance of temple marriage and temple vows and the eternal family unit.

https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-of-presidents-of-the-church-ezra-taft-benson/chapter-15-the-sacred-callings-of-fathers-and-mothers?lang=eng

Next, while pondering my Sunday school lesson "How can I explain the importance of marriage and family to others?" I noticed the new September Ensign had showed up and the following article was referenced on the cover:

The Temple and the Natural Order of Marriage - by Elder Bruce C. Hafen

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2015/09/the-temple-and-the-natural-order-of-marriage?lang=eng

Needless to say, it caught my attention. I will admit that sometimes I get bored with gospel study, talks and articles. I know that repetition is God's way of letting me know about critical messages and I feel the spirit when I study, ponder and pray. But this talk was a genuine feast of learning for me. I'm not going to elaborate on it. I'll leave that between you and the Spirit. But I cannot recommend it enough as the winds of change blow in our society today (Eph 4:14). I know that what Elder Hafen taught is true and is a timely message from God. I am going to be better about my joking regarding marriage and children. They are everything to me and ultimately a symbol of my testimony of Jesus Christ. Here is the full talk given at J. Ruben Law School if you are intereted.

http://jrcls.org/clark_memo/sections/f14/CMF14_Hafen.pdf

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Amen. I appreciate looking into the heart of your horcrux.