Saturday, November 20, 2010

Deathly Hallows Part 1

Get out your oranges and water bottles. Its half-time in the DEATHLY HALLOWS SAGA. HP&THD 1 is a great film. Should it be enshrined in the Pantheon of great movies on its own? No. But for the role it plays in the franchise, I couldn't expect much more.


The action was well done, pacing kept me interested but never overwhelmed. By breaking this into 2 parts, more time was spent on character development allowing the film to convey a bit more emotion than some prior installments. Having read the books, I'm more interested in adaptation choices rather than the actual movie since nothing compares to the book. ONCE AGAIN, IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE SERIES, JUST DO IT. For example, the use of Hedwig was actually a very clever way to move the plot forward without having to explain some complicated ideas from the book.

If anyone is under-used in this film, it is Voldermort. The terror of him being summoned by death eaters, hot on Harry's trail made for some of the greatest suspense in the book, but that element is lacking in this film. Especially at Godric's Hollow and in Malfoy Manor. But I've come to accept the movies will never be as good as my imagination and I'm still quite pleased with the end results. Plus, let's not forget that down the road, the HP series will go to Blu-ray and have extended editions, similar to LOTR, which I really enjoyed.

The only genuinely lame thing in the movie is the Harry/Hermione NCMO. That could possibly be the most surprising thing I've seen in the movies. Just seemed completely off key with the spirit of the books. I read that David Yeats told the actors the first take was too chaste it needed to be more "pagan and mad." Right... I'd rather they earn a PG-13 with more of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named rather than tawdry naked necking.

I was considering taking the Lizard to see this, but after this first viewing I don't think many kids under 10-12 would handle it well.

My favorite thing about this film? The humor! Despite this being the low point for our protagonists, there were plenty of laughs and I think that is why I liked it better than installments 5 and 6. The final act should give the last 1/4 of the book all its due and I'm really looking forward to it. So I'll keep pounding the orange wedges and see you next summer.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

NCMO - you make me laugh.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=nicmo

Daniel said...

What does HP&THD stand for?

I assume the Hedwig bit will make sense when I see the film.

I feel really put out about the V-Mart dearth. I hope you're right about the Blu-ray bit (and that I can get it streaming on Netflix, or something).

I presume the NCMO scene is with the locket, right?

Why are you uncomfortable with taking kids under 12?

I'm doubtful and yet hopeful about the laughs.

Why the football metaphor? Did you put the car in D and drink Slurpees while in the audience?

And is the last movie coming out next summer?

Phew. And I'll even sign my name to this one.

Fletch said...

[craking knuckles]

HP&THD is Harry Potter & The Hallows Deathly. Stupid reversal of words that sounded interesting to me.

NCMO is the locket.

The snake scenes are pretty intense, making for nightmare material. No kids under 12 from my house.

Life is a football game. Hence all metaphors should be football related if possible.

The laughs are real, or you have no soul.

The last movie is coming out next summer.

As somone who has listened to the books 50 times, I would figure you'd have seen this by now. Different strokes for different folks. Or shall I say:

THIS... IS... SPARTA!!!

Daniel said...

Hmm, I'm intrigued.

Why do you feel having listened to the books 50 times makes me an automatic candidate to see the movies?

I'm sorry, I think I'm missing the Sparta line.

Fletch said...

Seriously? You think I ought to be explaining my question? I'd say you should be the one explaining why you have not seen it considering the amount of time spent with the books.

It appears you are living quite a spartan lifestyle if seeing the movie is cost/time prohibitive.

Of course, if you hate the adaptation of the movies, so be it. Or perhaps you have: Theatrophobia and break out in foul sweats with clammy hands when crammed into a hot, stuffy, dark box with hundreds of people and a fire that could start at any moment...
http://www.phobialist.com/reverse.html#A-

Daniel said...

I will leave you to stew in your own hypothetical juices.

Thanks for the phobia list. You may be right on about my specific phobia.

Daniel said...

Okay. We saw the first installment tonight. (Thumbs down sign.)

I'm really disappointed with how the movies seem to cut a lot of what I find completely significant, and they add a bunch of clap trap.

E.g., Harry using expeliarmus on Stan Shunpike - gone (this is Harry's greatest strength -- his sacrificial love!). Hedwig flies in? What the crap? V-Mart runs into electrical wires and does a Mark Hammil? THEY CUT THE FLIPPIN LAKE SCENE WITH CREATURE!!! WHO ARE THESE SICK PEOPLE!? Seriously. That story-line is so awesome in the book, and, instead, we get two hours of wondering around in the wilderness and a random, over-long scene of dancing to out-of-place music, puzzling whether Harry and Hermoine like each other? Bellatrix tortures Hermoine by writing a juvenile insult in her arm, rather than using the cruciartus curse? Having Wormtail's hand strangle himself would have taken more than 10 seconds? NO V-MART ABOUT TO CATCH HARRY BY THE ANKLES AT GODRIC'S HOLLOW? No polly-juice potion? Tons of flies around and blood on the ceiling?

The list could probably go on. I say, feel free to take your kids to this one, they'll probably fall asleep with all the darkness and boredom.

Here is my summary: The earth also is defiled under the inhabitants thereof; because they have transgressed the laws, changed the ordinance, broken the everlasting covenant.

Fletch said...

Welcome to the conversation!

The business with the wands and Harry's signature Exp. move is too much to get across.

I don't even remember the lake with the monster and I've both read and listened to the book.

The torturing thing may earn an instant R rating as I've read in several places. IMBD says Emma W. and Helena BC came up with the idea on set.

Looks like you were right to avoid the movie due to your strong demands for strict adherance to the book. Perhaps you will not see the final installment? Its like never watching Jedi after Empire. Impressive feat to abstain for life, but with dignity and pride.

Fletch said...

I just watched trailer #2 for part 2 and regardless of the adaptation, the visuals are going to be SICK. Making your feat of perpetual part 2 abstinence all the more impressive...

MOST IMPRESSIVE.

Daniel said...

I recommend re-listening/reading HPTDH, to pick up on the lake scene with Creature. One of my favorites! "But the Dark Lord only laughed!"

I'll stop short of saying I "abstained from the movie out of protest." I would more say it was a general disinterest for new movies in theaters.

I'm sure I'll see the last installment, once it's out on iTunes rental, or maybe even sooner.

I look forward to your review. When's it coming out?

Fletch said...

July 15, 2011.

No more movies for a long time... until JK does the APWBD story vs. G-Wad.

Daniel said...

Ah, so this summer, eh?

What's "the APWBD story vs. G-Wad"?

Fletch said...

Albus, Percival, Wulfric, Brian, Dumbledore.

G-Wad is Grendelvald. Or however you spell his name.

It will be the story of their forbidden passion that nearly destroyed the world of magic that ultimately ends with a beat down.

Or it would be interesting to see the founding of Hogwarts, but a young Albus allows JK to do a young male protagonist once again.

Daniel said...

Ah, yes, the friendship gone sour. I can see that as reality TV.

I'm more inclined to think that if Rowling does do any other serious HP-related novels (and I doubt she will -- I think she has a high sense of finality/non-Favreness), they would be about James/Sirius.

I have a hard time seeing this because I think she (or at least the storyline) really values Harry as a saint-like figure (near perfect), while James, as a child/teen, is somewhat maligned as a snobby punk (maybe even ala Malfoy).

Who knows? Only time.