Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Social Network & 2D Quidditch

Movies and games involving nerds... WHO RULE THE WORLD.

theFacebook - Any film that scores a 97% on the Tomatometer is probably worth seeing. The Social Network is definitely one of them. As an old jock who used to rip on nerds, I found this movie to be HYSTERICAL!!! I was cracking up the whole time. This movie will win you over in the first sequence with Zuckerman and his girlfriend. Next during the credits at the beginning I noticed the music credits included TRENT REZNOR. As in the crazy guy who led Nine Inch Nails back in the 90s. Much more than the unexpected comedy, the scoring blew me away. The music made nerds writing code at 2AM look cool. Yes. You just read that. This guy's music makes a 36 hour programming binge look cool.... I'm still astonished.

I'm CEO, #$^&! - You have my minimal attention.
Beyond these elements this film was an excellent portrayal of capitalism. One guy had the skill and drive to pull off a great idea. As in many cases the germ of the idea came from someone else who didn't have the ability to execute it (the twins). Next the initial business partner had some useful start-up money, but ultimately did not have the connections and the savvy to push the site to Google-like status. This is where Mr. Napster plays his role beautifully. Each flawed individual brought certain talents to the table, but while pursing the most ruthless course to achieve the greatest profit, the consumer got the best product. It may not be pretty, but that brutal cycle has been raising the standard of living for centuries. At least in the modern world the people who get stepped on can "lawyer up" and get their fair share of the spoils. I can hear the Robber Barons rolling in their graves.

2D Quidditch - Check out the video below. You'd think with all the rage for 3D people would reject this sport outright. I just seem to be on a roll with NERDS today.


NEW FLASH BRYANT GUMBEL!!! This game already exists! Its called Lacrosse. Only these guys have some tool running around in yellow outfit and are throwing dodge balls instead of rightly beating the snot out of each other with shoulder pads and sticks. Here is a brief background on the history of Lacrosse.

"Lacrosse is of the oldest sports in North America. The game's roots can be traced back to Native American religion, lacrosse was often played to resolve conflicts, heal sick people, and develop virile, strong men. To Native Americans, lacrosse is still referred to as "The Creator's Game". Lacrosse was considered by many native tribes to be wonderful training for war -- the Cherokees even called it "the little brother of war." Teams would sometimes consist of many hundreds, or even thousands, of players. Goals were quite often miles apart. Games could last as long as 3 days. Most players were unable to get close to the ball, and so took to concentrating their efforts on using their stick as a weapon."
Yes. In the real sport, you actually use the stick, not run around with it between you legs pretending you are flying. But the biggest problem is the lack of 3D. Unless you can actually fly this is just a poor version of Lacrosse and dodge ball mashed together. Could this be done in a large pool with a remote controlled snitch powered by a small but effective propeller? That could be interesting. But it would take way too much effort and resources. So in the meantime, the wizarding world will continue to mock us pitiful muggles as we struggle to emulate magical games with our filthy blood.

4 comments:

Daniel said...

I'm intrigued about the FB movie, maybe I'll have you show it to me on your big screen, one day.

Yes, after watching that, um, interesting display of "Quidditch," I feel queasy.

By the way, the apparently shamed beyond belief sportscaster is actually Greg Gumbel. Sheesh. I figured someone with a man card like yours would be able to tell the two brothers apart!

Fletch said...

Greg will get over it.

I should say this article provides some further detail beyond the character assasination of the film.
http://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-movie-zuckerberg-ims#a-sucker-born-every-day-1

Daniel said...

Hmm.

I wonder how often $15k turns into $1B+. Less often than people might imagine, I reckon . . .

I chuckled to myself when I read about how it used to be called thefacebook.com. For some reason, I feel much more comfortable with dropping the article.

Seth Jenson said...

Well said. I love capitalism, and I loved this movie. It elevated Mark Zuckerberg to hero status for me. I wonder what the real Mark Zuckerberg is like.