Saturday, October 02, 2010

Gets Better With Age

I'm fresh off another Saturday night at Priesthood Session. What a great meeting. As and added bonus, I got to take a younger friend with me. I was sitting there listening to the Apostles, I thought about how I used dread these meetings when I was my friend's age and what has changed since then.

Let's face it: When you are 12-18, taking your Saturday night to go listen to a bunch of old guys talk in the dark seemed like a major dent in the ol social life or video game schedule (depending on how cool you are). I faithfully went with my dad when he was alive and I didn't harbor any truly ill feelings and I knew it was the right thing to do, so I went. It gave me a chance to ask my dad crazy questions like, "If God wanted me to, could I shoot lighting from my fingertips?" The ice cream afterwards wasn't bad either. I'm grateful that at a young age the habit of doing the right thing was instilled in me; even if I hadn't figured out the right motives yet.

But now I relish these meetings. I love the feeling of fraternity with the other brethren present as well as "The Brethren." For the last thee outings I usually exclaim within myself, "its a shame the boss is missing this!" But she and all womankind are so wonderful they don't need it I suppose. There are some obvious reasons this meeting is better for me now:

  • More maturity (cough - OK just a little bit)
  • Served a mission - changed my life
  • Have kids so I'm eager to be better
  • Women - I want to be the kind of Priesthood holder my wife and mom think I am
But how about this?

I'm at a point in my life where a meeting with no kids crawling on me is a treat. I can actually think and feel the Spirit. I often find that some of my best insights come in meetings like this while I'm actively listening, but then I have an impression about something else in my life and I'm truly inspired and fed by the Spirit. I've got that: "I'm never gonna do anything wrong!" feeling again. Sad to say it often fades, but I'll do my best to keep it around.

Another thing that has followed this pattern is golf. I'm HORRIBLE at it, but for the peace and quiet factor, I really enjoy it. I'm sure fishing would qualify, but I haven't done much of it lately.

And finally, I must say Love get better with age. You can shoot me down for pandering to the Boss (who doesn't read this) or being a greasy schmoozer, but if any of you know me, that's not my style. The longer we're together the more she becomes a part of me. My kids as well. Its no wonder God loves us so much if he's spent that much time with us. I heard a great line from a movie I saw lately where a husband confesses to his wife who thinks he's no longer interested, "You're the air that I breathe!" Just because the initial flame is no longer 20 feet in the sky, the bond that develops over time is truly a wonderful thing. Hopefully I never take it for granted.

Small wonder I'm looking forward to a retirement filled with golf, fishing, cheese and a whole lotta time with my wife, kids and (I'll say it) grandchildren... and let's not forget Priesthood Session.

So to any struggling Deacon, Teacher or Priest, hang in there... you may be surprised 10 years from now.

7 comments:

Daniel said...

I enjoyed your remarks, thanks.

What did you think about President Uchtdorf's smack-down on sporting events?

You may now approach the front and turn in your man card with pride.

Here's the F-Word-style, super tough question I'm glad I can avoid answering, and which may be unfair to ask in the first place: How do the Austin Collies out there feel after President Monson's basketball story about the Harvard dude and 100% obedience?

Final question: your thoughts on today's BYU football "firing"?

Jay said...

Nice, Jon. A serious post. That a first? :P

BTW, I'm interested in your responses to "Cougar Abogado's" questions too! :)

Fletch said...

Alright CA. I'll give my take on your questions:

1. Pres Uchtdorf: He was only talking to Max Hall. The rest of us can tune it out. (J/K). I heartily agree with his comments. A little smack talk is fine, but when you really start wishing ill on the other team and its fans (family and friends - ouch) its gone to far. I think he got two birds with 1 stone. He's calling out all of the idiots in the BYU-Utah rivalry, but its a good universal message. Think of all the insane Futbol fans in South America and Europe that must have been pricked in the heart! Sports should be recreation and entertainment. No one needs to be hurt over it. I suppose Star Wars and Harry Potter fans have laser gun and wand duels in the parking lot at Comic Con, so they need to heed this advice too. The question is will all Ute fans turn the other cheek and love Max Hall?

2. Sabbath & Sports: I draw the line on this topic at the professional level. The 3 P's, Provide, Protect, Preside. If you have a job that absolutely forces you to work on a Sunday then I don't have a problem. Are we going to tell all doctors, firemen, cops, etc. they can't work on Sunday? Our old man did... Are sports different? Apparently you don't loose your temple reccomend over it; and my mission pres was an ex pro athlete who played on sunday, so I'm gonna say no. BUT if you are an amatur athlete and it really is an extracirricular in your life, don't play.

3. THE FIRING: I thought it was Bronco's defense since he is the guru of D. But the USU game shows something is very wrong. NEW FLASH! Air Force runs the option. We've been playing them for 100 years. You'd think we've figured that out by now and how to prepare for it. I love Bronco and I'm willing to give him some room on this. I sure hope he is planning to take over the D and make it something tougher than a pack of Laurels trying to prove how tough they are to the big boys.

Good gravy that was a long comment. Perhaps I should have put that in a new post!

Fletch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daniel said...

I'm impressed with your responses. Regarding the three P's, I'm intrigued. I think it's ironic how many people think LDS are simply automatons.

Heck, Steve Young was one of the Church's poster guys for the Salt Lake Olympics.

Seth Jenson said...

Appreciated your comments Jon. You guys are a great family. Nothing like conference to give you a pick me up. All it's gotta do is last for 6 months!

Rock Solid said...

Thank you telling it as it is. I too remember dreading conference nights when I was a teenager. I don't remember asking dad much, but I think I do vaguely remember the ice cream. Perhaps the Lord really wants us to remember something from the Priesthood session (since our kids are not there). :)