Sunday, May 10, 2009

Seeing the Future and Star Trek

I used to consider going to the movies alone as a sign of social dysfunction. But now that my life has reached new chaotic levels, going alone to a movie was a refreshing siesta from interpersonal communication. Especially when I'm attending the Landmark theater in Greenwood Village. Let me just say: this is the place in town to watch a movie. Slightly higher ticket price, but that includes unlimited popcorn and soda, very comfortable leather seats, and best of all, a classy, intimate setting that makes me feel like I'm an individual experiencing art; rather than lemming being fed a corporate product designed to return favorably to investors.


This evening I took in the new Star Trek film. As I predicted, this is the type of space-action film George Lucas should have made with the Star Wars prequels. This movie had good buzz going in and it lived up to and in some cases exceeded my expectations. Perhaps the greatest feat was the fresh but familiar portrayals of the characters, especially Kirk and Spock. Daunting task well met. Despite the fast pace of the film, the emotional tension was taut from start to finish. This movie had the human touch that the prequels lacked. The writers created a good vehicle for future films, that will allow freedom for new ideas and stories, without being slavishly bound to prior Trek work. In one word: Bravo. Two more? See it.

Being alone after a movie with no one to discuss the my thoughts, I got carried away on a recurring internal idea about the future. What if I could see (not meet) my future self in 20, 30 years? This hits me occasionally when driving around the place I grew up and now call home once again after a 12 year break. What if I could see myself now, when I was 10? Would it change the way I act? Of course. I'd take my faith, math and several other matters much more seriously. But to what end? If I outperformed my future self would it be cheating the game of life? Perhaps I would be overzealous to improve my apparent future weaknesses and develop others instead? If I've learned anything in my short life, trials come regardless of our efforts to avoid or prepare for them.

Then my thoughts turned to what I would not change if I saw my future self. Surprisingly, I found this to be rather enjoyable as it made me realize how much I appreciate the people in my life. For starters, I would not attempt to change the sudden death of my father. Painful as it was, it undeniably shaped and deepened my character. I've learned things from him through our separation that I don't think I would have any other way. An easy second would be my lovely wife and our children. Friends along the way have been many and supportive, inspiring me to be better. Each relationship has a unique happiness. I'm sure I could achieve similar results in alternate futures, but I find I'm content with what I've been given. People and how I treat them matters most, not my career, pride or other accomplishments. Truly on Judgment Day my relationship with God or better put, with my family, friends and neighbors will be the primary focus.

Until then... Time to sign off of this entry in my Captain's log and wonder how you could have read this far on such an unusual post composed in the wee hours of the night.

2 comments:

Jay said...

I agree.... Star Trek was AMAZING.

Daniel said...

Yes, if only I had the cash flow to see ST in plush, leather seats!

You paint a tantalizing portrait.

I'd officially put it on my "list of movies to see," but I've got so many on there by now, I think I'd be doing the film a disservice.

As for the deep thoughts, well done, F-Word; I like the introspection.

As far as alternate universes/existences are concerned, I like the Dr. Emmit Brown freak-out-when-Marty-doesn't-get-it approach (with the coolest chalk board explanation I've ever seen).

Just think what kind of sweet GM-brand automobile we could all be driving if this were still 1985 . . .