Saturday, July 11, 2015

Summer 2015 Movie Blitz

I've been told I run a movie blog, which is fair since I "speak in quote" most of the time. But make no mistake, this is a Horcrux and you risk being sucked into a misty vortex with John Williams music if my singularity decides possesses you, murder cats and write strange messages on the bathroom wall in blood. Just thought I should get that warning out on there.

Work has been very busy over the last couple of months so I've had a bunch of time to listen to some books and then take in some summer films on breaks. Let's start with the films since the odds of anyone catching up with my books are slim:
  • Beyond the Madding Crowd - This film may not be a typical popcorn flick, but it is absolutely GORGEOUS. Nearly every frame could be used still work of art. I found it to be more impressive than Days of Heaven which has been hailed by many as one of the most beautiful films of all time. So yes, this gets my highest praise. Watch it as a piece of art not entertainment, but it still does that. Every woman should be so lucky as Carrie Mulligan to have a film like that to remember their youth later in life. Easily my favorite movie of the summer.
Wouldn't it be great if all prospective spouses said stuff like this? Bathseba: Ahead of her time -  Truth in advertising. 
  • Jurassic World - Am I the only person underwhelmed by this movie? It was good, but nothing terribly special or new. DBH sports THE WORST HAIRCUT EVER and Chris Pratt was alright. I must be getting old.
  • Avengers Deux / Ultron - A solid outing, always hard to top the original and the humor was still great. While it is cool to look at, after awhile the visual effects and action just seem tedious and there for the sake of "EXPLOSIONS!!!" I want a Super Hero Franchise to do something new with a character... Like Superman having a kid?? I guess we'll never know.  
  • Mad Max / Fury Road - I know I just complained about non-stop violence and that's really all this flick does. Seriously. There are like two 5-minute breaks. My only complaint. I did love how there is almost no exposition and you just have to figure it out. Hats off for being very well crafted, shot and completely entertaining. I was both shocked and laughing throughout. Given the unending stream of Post Apocalyptic fodder heaped upon us in the media, I think I'd take the Zombie Apocalypse over dealing with flabby metal face and his hoard of heavy metal maniacs. 
  • Inside Out - A return to form for Pixar. They make animation for adults that kids can also enjoy. Absolutely loved this movie in concept and how they balanced real life vs. the Emoties so it could pack more of an emotional punch. I always get choked up in these blasted movies. The only concerning thing is that there are 5 emotions and only one of them is positive. It also seems to lead kids to believe they are ruled by their emotions and didn't seem to demonstrate how to control them, just accept them. Don't get me wrong, that was a great message for kids and parents that you need to embrace sadness (grief, loneliness, etc.) to heal, but whatever. Its just for kids right? 
 I'll have to get to the books on another post. 

1 comment:

Daniel said...

Thank you, Siskel. I appreciate the reviews.