Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Is the Mormon Moment Over?

After what seemed like an eternity (eight years) of running for president, Mitt Romney is not going to the White House. I'll admit I'm crestfallen this morning and have no desire to go to work... or build anything. The church had unprecedented coverage during Romney's run. Ultimately, I'd like to think it was very positive. Many people got to know Mormons as regular people with traditional values, but also as a people with a variety of backgrounds and struggles. So now that people don't have to deal with the idea of a Mormon running the country, is the media hype about the church done?

I'd say yes and no. Yes to what I call the Media Moment and no to the Church making headlines.

Media Moment - Most people really don't care to hear about other people's beliefs all the time. Heck, plenty of people don't want to think about their own religion all the time, much less the guy next door. If I'm running a magazine, newspaper or other media outlet, I'm probably worn out on the issue as well. So I think the media pieces highlighting the faith and why we are different is going to go down dramatically. Evangelicals can now go back to praying for us and I doubt more profanity laced musicals are in the works.

Headlines - I don't see the church changing its position on controversial topics such as gay marriage, abortion or supporting the Boy Scouts. As those issues continue to clash, the Church's larger national presence will be seen and heard. Some will love us and some will hate us.


This election felt like a tipping point to me. We are on the European fast track. Religion is now what happens at weddings, funerals and a few holidays, but mostly just ceremonial stuff and not for everyday living. De-militarization and flat 50-75% taxes. Its the only way we can "attempt" to pay for all of our programs. And the majority of us will cheer for it. I'm not leaving the country, so I guess I'd better get used to it until our economy collapses under the astronomical debt, sparking a second world-wide depression and chaos that could eventually lead to Biblical Armageddon scenarios.

(You knew I was going to work the end of the world into this. In a less serious post, I'd blame the Illuminati for Romney losing last night).

Yeah, I don't have that much faith in Bureaucrats solving the world's problems.

Before you say I've given up, I do think its a matter of time before the Dem majority ticks everyone off and we will  likely see another Republican President and Senate down the road. However, I think we just went over the fiscal edge and I don't think we can come back. I feel like blaming 3 years of campaigning for a 4 year term. Or maybe I'm just in a sour mood this morning.      

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I'm still grieving, myself. See my post for more: http://cougarabogado.blogspot.com/2012/11/my-reaction-to-democrats-big-election.html

To be candid, I thought this devastation would essentially destroy my interest in politics and government for a long time or, perhaps, forever. I will always remember Hugh Hewitt gasping something like, "They've just called Ohio. The election is over!" Stunned silence.

On the other hand, in many ways, I feel renewed and reinvigorated. As I tearfully thought about the country we're leaving for our children, something Hewitt or Prager said really resonated with me: I'm not going to just give up on the freedoms and values so many Americans gave their lives for on D-day. They paid too great a price for me to just toss it all aside because we lost an election.

We march on. We press on. We move FORWARD --> If Joe Biden is the "happy warrior," then we must be the most unflappable, hap-happiest warriors of all.

Can you hear the song intro and heavy breathing? MORTAL KOMBAT!!