Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Other Prodigal

Some of you may remember a wonderfully insightful talk by Elder Holland entitled The Other Prodigal. It focuses on the second son who stayed home and was seemingly faithful, but needed just as much help as his wayward brother. I was recently reminded of my favorite scene in the movie Jesus of Nazareth where the filmmaker chose to show Jesus relating this parable as a message to Peter who is upset about Jesus taking Matthew (a despised Publican or tax collector) as His disciple. Very interesting to watch in the context of Elder Holland's talk.



Here is a link to Elder Holland's talk where I would encourage you to watch, listen or read.

http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2002/04/the-other-prodigal?lang=eng

Hopefully I can do better at accepting others as I would want to be accepted by Jesus. Happy Saturday to you all.

3 comments:

Rock Solid said...

Wow. Thank you for sharing this. I have not yet seen this movie but it looks very insightful. I love to watch the change that comes over Peter as the Master teaches the parable and then the sincerity and acceptance he shows Matthew by his body language.

m.fletch said...

I agree.

I would like to watch this film.

It looks like there are many youtube videos from it posted on the web.

Thanks for sharing!

Daniel said...

Thanks for sharing. I definitely think I can do better on this score.

When did your blog (design) come to itself?