Monday, February 07, 2011

SB XLV

SB XLV was a great game, but as many of you may have guessed this was the highlight of my night:



I can identify with this kid. On numerous occasions I tried to move things with the force, but had no success. I remember hanging from a tree branch outside, in the middle of winter trying to get my fake lightsaber to fly into my hand (like Luke on Hoth with the Hoth beast). All that happened was me falling out of the tree.

I told my family to root for Green Bay since I'm sick of the Steelers recent success. As usual, I had my traditional "little smokies" among some nachos, wings, stuffed shrooms and Cinna-bon cupcakes from THE BAKERY BOX. I didn't feel like eating this morning.

It amazes me how much unnecessary pomp and circumstance has gotten into this broadcast. Just one year, I'd like to see a minimalist Super Bowl... Broadcasters wearing plain black suites and ties, no fireworks or special video introductions, local marching band at half-time, 15 minute pre-game show and 5 minutes to present the trophy after the game. Commericals would be unwatchable not treated as mini-film festival. IT WOULD BE PURE FOOTBALL.

But the ratings would stink, money would be lost and so the American greed and glamour machine gives us yesterday's spectacle... For a mere $800 to $10,000 per seat, only to look at the giant TV screen instead of the field below. Ouch. Those folks just got sucker punched by Jerry Jones. Especially the folks watching outside in the cold. Go find a friend with a TV and keep your money.

Here are some classic ads from years gone by. I espeically liked the 1984 Mac ad.

http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/03/the-7-best-super-bowl-commercials-ever-aired-videos/

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the game, and yes, I foresaw your destiny enjoying that commercial. (Thanks for the nostalgia, by the way.)

Thanks for the links to the old time commercials, I think that's the first time I'd seen the whole Terry Tate clip. I imagine that prompted some nostalgia, as well.