Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Ski Cooper

As winter gives way to spring, I recently determined it was time to take the Lizard on a final ski trip for the season. Since I've already spent way too much on this elitist sport this year, I wanted to take the affordable route. A colleague recommended Ski Cooper as an affordable family resort and it fit the bill perfectly.

I'm almost reluctant to tell the 3 people who read this blog about it as word may spread, but I flatter myself. Ultimately, I maintain this blog for posterity, amusement and the KGB, so I will share a few details of the trip.


Ski Cooper is located about 10 mins north of Leadville off Highway 24. Since I was traveling for work already, we stayed at the Super 8 in Leadville the night before. Very basic hotel, can't control the temperature in your room, thin walls, ghastly empty carbs for breakfast, but clean and comfortable. It is wonderful to have a 10 minute drive before hitting the slopes.

Lift tickets were $45 for adults and $23 for kids. Rentals were $15 for adults and $13 for kids. I threw in a helmet for the Lizard as my boss gave multiple death threats if I did not procure one for her. All told, the bill for lift tickets and rentals for one day came out to $91 bucks. I paid $95 for just a lift ticket for myself earlier at Steamboat. The price got my day off to a great start.

Better than the price, the runs were perfect for kids. As a blue skier who usually avoids blacks, this place would get boring on my own, but the modest slopes were just challenging enough for younger skiers. I'd say in general, the greens were very easy and the blues like an advanced green at a larger resort. Lines were non-existent, runs were not crowded and the light coating of fresh powder was wonderful. In the morning, the falling snow was beautiful against the sun. It was like being inside an enormous lighted snow globe.

Sounds like a perfect day? There was some drama. It was very windy and COLD. The Lizard packed the wrong gloves and her poor hands were freezing after the second run. She was ready to throw in the towel and go home. While fidgeting with one of the gloves on the lift, it fell along with the sky. I wound up taking her to the ski patrol lodge at the top of the mountain while I searched for the lost glove to no avail. I then went back up the mountain and told her I would go get some different gloves at the lodge. So off I went again, and after blowing more money on gloves, goggles, a face/neck gator and hand warmers, we got back on the slopes. The Lizard was a hit with the ski patrol and they were sad to see her go after consuming all their hot chocolate and cookies. A now toasty Lizard proceeded to carve up the mountain even daring some jumps and bravely dusting off a few wipe-outs.

Couldn't be happier with my day on the slopes and some quality time with the Lizard. The season ends this year on April 4, so it will have to wait until next year for another trip. http://www.skicooper.com/

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Wow. Scalois and Wordsworth would both be proud of this bucolic masterpiece.

Well done, Voldy-F-Word, I can sense the force is still strong with you.

Don't worry, as I now know relatively few Denverites, your latest secret is presumptively safe with the CA.

CCF and JRF said...

Never heard of Cooper. Thought it was typo for a while trying to say "Copper". Sounds like a heck of a deal regardless!