Sunday, March 14, 2010

Captian Crunch Mouth

This morning Jeff texted me that he was suffering from an acute case of Captain Crunch mouth after 3 delicious bowls. Jeff – I feel your pain. Sadly, I’m all too familiar with this affliction. My days at the MTC were riddled with it. If only Clark Griswold could come up with a nutritive mouth varnish that could “seal and coat” the mouth and prevent the Captain Crunch from scarring it.

If you don’t know what Captain Crunch mouth is, see this thread: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080313041912AAfoBdq

While I love Captain Crunch, I’ve nearly given it up for this reason. I don’t want to wait for the “Soggies” to make it safe to eat. But this got me to thinking, what is the greatest the American classic cold cereal? Before I give my top five, I think some history on cold cereal is in order (thanks Wikipedia, o fountain of easy indisputable facts):

“Breakfast cereals have their beginnings in the vegetarian movement in the last quarter of the nineteenth century, which influenced members of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in the United States.[4] The main Western breakfast at that time was a cooked breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage, and beef. The first packaged breakfast cereal, Granula (named after granules) was invented in the United States in 1863 by James Caleb Jackson, operator of the Jackson Sanitorium in Dansville, New York and a staunch vegetarian.

Breakfast cereals were considerably more convenient, and, combined with clever marketing, they finally managed to catch on. In 1877, John Harvey Kellogg, operator of the Battle Creek Sanitarium in Battle Creek, Michigan, invented a biscuit made of ground-up wheat, oat, and cornmeal for his patients suffering from bowel problems. The product was initially also named "Granula", but changed to "Granola" after a lawsuit. His most famous contribution, however, was an accident. After leaving a batch of boiled wheat soaking overnight and rolling it out, Kellogg had created wheat flakes. His brother Will Keith Kellogg later invented corn flakes from a similar method, bought out his brother's share in their business, and went on to found the Kellogg Company in 1906. With his shrewd marketing and advertising, Kellogg's sold their one millionth case after three years.

The 20th century

In the 1930s, the first puffed cereal, Kix, went on the market. Beginning after World War II, the big breakfast cereal companies – now including General Mills, who entered the market in 1924 with Wheaties – increasingly started to target children. The flour was refined to remove fiber, which at the time was considered to make digestion and absorption of nutrients difficult, and sugar was added to improve the flavor for children. The new breakfast cereals began to look starkly different from their ancestors. As one example, Kellogg's Sugar Smacks, created in 1953, had 56% sugar by weight.[6] Different mascots were introduced, first with the Rice Krispies elves[7] and later pop icons like Tony the Tiger and the Trix Rabbit.

Because of Kellogg and Post, the city of Battle Creek, Michigan is nicknamed the "cereal city". [8]”

And without further ado, Here are my top 5.

5. HBO – AKA, Honey Bunches of Oats

Tasty, sweet, clusters. Good times, fun nickname.

4. Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Sugary goodness to replace toast with a timeless topping

3. Cocoa Crispies or Fruity Pebbles

I used to chant “oh-ho blessed cereal” as I poured milk on this cereal

2. Reese’s Puffs

What other cereal is equally good for desert? A birthday morning special

1. HNC – AKA Honey Nut Cheerios.

To waste this cereal is a sin in my house. Finish the bowl or don’t start at all. It is relatively healthy, with that sweet sugar cereal taste. Best of both worlds.

Honorable mentions:

Life
Cracklin Oat Bran
Captain Crunch, with Crunch Berries
Super Golden Crisp
Marshmallow Mateys
Raisin Bran
G-NUTS, AKA Grape Nuts

So go do your patriotic duty – fill a massive salad bowl with your favorite empty calories and watch some cartoons. For a trip down cartoon/cereal memory lane, visit: http://www.neatorama.com/2007/02/26/best-cereal-commercials-ever/

15 comments:

Katie said...

Peanut Butter Crunch. My mom never bought this for us--I had to discover it on my own. But they are gooooood.

I'm thinking I need to revisit the Fruity Pebbles. I haven't had those in decades.

Just a Sports Fan said...

Perhaps you can get Clark on that project. As for Katie, anything with fake PB in it is, well, disgusting. As an award winning chef, you should know that.

Fletch, as for your top 5, I'm mostly there with you. Life is top 2 for me. I also love Waffle Crisp even though it's not made anymore.

Good post.

Katie said...

This is Jake - My cousin's wife has a masters in food science from Cornell. She now works for Post designing cereals. In my mind, her best creation is the highly underrated Blueberry Morning. she also has let us sample new creations in the past with one based upon Oreos that I recall being good. That said, you left off a classic . . . Golden Grahams, best eaten as part of a breakfast Blizzard with Strawberries (my grandma's creation). She owned the Dairy Queen next to U of M in Ann Arbor for many years and let us have free reign to make whatever we wanted, and I remember her making one of these breakfasts of champions for me when I helped her open the store.

Honorable Mention (particularly with the upcoming holiday) - Lucky Charms. Katie lets our kids eat these every day and she wonders why they are bouncing off the walls. My mom rarely let us eat sugar cereals unless she found a screaming deal to justify buying them. Whenever she bought Lucky Charms, we'd pick out the marshmallows before we finished the box, so at the end you'd be left w/o any sugary goodness.

Jake said...

Finally figured out how to sign on. One last addition - Frosted Mini Wheats.

Jeff - What about the rumor of Pooholes for your hometown Ryan Howard?

Jay said...

I'm offended that MY two favorites didn't even end up on you list: Lucky Charms, and, the best cereal on the planet: Golden Grahams!!!

Fletch said...

It appears Golden Grhams is my main oversight.

Marshmallow Mateys is the generic Lucky Charms I used to buy at college.

CCF and JRF said...

I have been so satisfied with my protein bars for breakfast. Now you have me consumed with the desire to have Captain Crunch again; or as it is officially named CAP'N CRUNCH. Still I can not ever seem to make time to eat in the morning and sit down when rushing off to work, so maybe just good old CAP'N this week while I am not at work and definitely with crunch berries!

I myself can not control myself on how much of that stuff I eat and agree, I am not about to let it get soggy. Maybe building up a CAP'N CALLUS to guard from the shards of sharp and harsh crunch cereal? I have no idea... I always thought aside from texture there was some sort of chemical in there hurting my mouth. Probably the same chemical that makes me addicted to them and keeps them crunchy.

Somethings maybe the best things, just require dedication, even if it hurts.

Daniel said...

Wow, what a post. I thought Dan in Real Life was supposed to be about Yours Truly, not you!

Loved the answers.com page: Cue up Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

As for the top five, I totally thought you were going to put Reese's Puffs as numero uno. You dishonor family. Too much filthiness?

I won't even start to tell you what I usually have for breakfast, you'd probably make a B-Line for your leftover airplane bags.

You better finish this vice off before the Stonehenge gets home or you'll have some serious colon cleansing on tap. Ohh!!!

Tell me that line wasn't up there with poor Grandma Madeline's two line family-newsletter obituary.

Funniest Fletcher moment ever?

You should do a post on that subject, taking care to skate around some of my more sensitive memories (as I'm sure they would dominate the list).

Indeed, I expect a top 10, or at least a top 5, Fletcher memories on my RSS feed by tomorrow evening.

Get on it.

Daniel said...

I just watched the commercials. Hilarious. Sometimes I wish I could go back to the 80's, just for the TV awesomeness.

The C-3PO ad was absolutely amazing. Mel Brooks would have been so proud. (Maybe that's where he got the merchandising idea in the first place?)

Fletch said...

I actually used to know kids who could do the Pac-man dance.

I also recall CCF running around singing the Nintendo cereal song. Truly one of the most annoying songs ever created (outside of my stuff).

Daniel said...

You stuff?

Fletch said...

Upon hearing my stuff, a college roomate exclaimed, "this must be the music they play in hell!"

Daniel said...

OH. You're computer-made music?

Fletch said...

No, that was pre-computer. It was recorded off a keyboard. Truly remarkable by today's standards.

Daniel said...

You'll have to email me a rendition.