Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spring Cleaning

I've accumulated a bunch of items to air out as we celebrate the rites of spring (not Stravinsky style http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rite_of_Spring). So, no riots please. I'm not that shocking.

Things I'm done with, PART 2

  1. March Madness - Kansas, you suck. BYU, "it must have been love, but its over now." My brackets lie bloody on the hardwood. But only because I didn't use my Nostra-fletch-a-damus skills on them. My real prediction will follow.
  2. Female Angst Flicks/TV - Stuff like the Nanny diaries, Step mom, the Duchess, Lifetime TV in general, the Bachelor, HGTV...
  3. Kids failing to do homework or making it impossible to get to school on time. Enough said.
  4. Anything too doughy. (I know, that means I should be done with myself. Har har).
  5. "He saw that the works that his own hands had wrought under the sun was all vanity and vexation of spirit - and not even for any profit!"http://scatteredchristians.org/UnderSunVexation.html I will not elaborate on this unless severely prompted to.
Recent Movies

A. Couples Retreat - This pushed the PG-13 limit but was hilarious. The Yoga scene nearly put me in tears.

B. Tron - I went back and watched the old one and actually enjoyed it. There is something almost timeless in the near-black and white footage.

C. 2012 - Ridiculous. - Yes, that sums up the movie.

D. Bambi - Yes, I'd never seen it and I was shocked to find out Bambi was a boy.

Predictions

I. Syracuse will win the tournament.

II. Smokie will loose to Jacob, Jack will take over and the alternate future will segue into another series based on Lost characters, ala Private Practice (that name still sounds wrong).

III. Congress will be forced to start using the health care system they put in place (after the people's victory over martial law with the use of bear spray).

IV. Clash of the Titans is going to be a bad movie, but make a ton of money. Same thing on Iron Man 2. (I really hope I'm wrong).

V. The Cavs will win the NBA title this year. My Nugz will get bounced in the 2nd round of the playoffs. (once again, I really hope I'm wrong.)

VI. Brady Quinn will become a great quarterback in Denver - Why? Anything Josh wants to do... he'll do. And making BQ a top notch QB is just a fact of reality we have yet to discover. After all, Josh seems to do whatever he wants, except win in December. But that was Brandon Marshall's fault... and Tony Scheffler. Gotta get rid of the bad locker room guys. So yes, McMastermind is poised for a stellar year!! - OK that was all crap. I'm predicting a 4-12 season. I've lost all hope. Get me some Al Davis sweat suits and perpetual blackouts. Perhaps the dawn of spring (and a stellar draft) can renew my hope.

Restaurant

California Cafe, Park Meadows Mall - With a menu that changes seasonally and a classy, quiet atmosphere, this is one of my favorite places to take the boss for dinner. I've never been disappointed with anything I've tried. Here is a brief summary of my last outing:
  • Appetizer - Beef Carapaccio. Lean, tender. Not the best ever. It was a good start.
  • Entree - Porchini and Pork Belly Pizza. Probably one of the 3 best pizzas I've ever been blessed to eat. It was stunning, don't let the name freak you out - ITS BACON!!!
  • Desert - Butternut Squash ice cream on a warm gingerbread cake with toffee chips. - I'd actually pass up chocolate for this. It was a revelation.
  • http://www.californiacafe.com/
Needless to say, I recommend this place. The prices are actually quite reasonable for the fare.

4 comments:

Jay said...

Bambi is a BOY!?!?!?

CCF and JRF said...

That is so funny! I was reading this article today http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10077/1043512-46.stm?cmpid=fooddining.xml and I thought, surely everyone has been into the pork belly craze and not just SF and NYC. Apparently people are shy of pork belly. There is more pork belly here than you could possibly imagine! It looks like the good ol' CA Cafe hasn't completely gone to the dogs.

I looked at their website and they are a chain with a restaurant in Palo Alto too! I have to admit that there are some very telling differences between the menus in Denver versus Palo Alto. Almost all the items I wanted to cross off of the Denver menu for the most part didn't make an appearance, or they were updated in some way. Baked Brie!?!? Oh well. It was interesting that the guy in Denver does seem to have an Italian focus. I was also happy to see his using trout instead of salmon as is becoming en vouge as it is so much more sustainable.

If I were looking at the Denver menu, it looks like there are the items the chef actually cares about and I would be interested in. Almost all of the salads are throw aways except for the trout. The black bean pulled pork sounds like the chef took interest in that. The share's all look pretty uninspired except for perhaps the artichoke, but it's not quite right seeming. I'd skip all of them. I'd say he doesn't care at all about the sandwiches. The pizzas seem to show the most thought, and it looks like you ordered what I bet was the best one. All of the mains that are fishes look good as well. Filet mignon is kind of silly but at least he is braising the leeks to add SOME kind of interest, but it was obviously put there for someone with a lack of adventure in their palate. Oh and the sweet pea pasta also looks like a winner. In desserts I bet what you got or the bombolini would be the best.

Sorry to dissect that. LOL. I've never seen Bambi either. I have no desire to see ANY of the films you reviewed. I can't seem to get into tron either. Sorry that it seems that you aren't sowing. :( Hopefully things will turn out well soon though!

CCF

CCF and JRF said...

We want you to still watch Lifetime movies! Everyone needs some chick flick cheese. They're the yin for your yang.

We wont comment on your item III (Healthcare).

JRF

Daniel said...

Excellent potpourri, F-Word.

#3 reminds me of dad: I release the need.

The dude gazing into the crystal ball actually looks like you . . .

Glad you're enjoying fine dining; sounds very tasty. I'm glad you almost followed my precedent: you should have had filet mignon instead of bacon pizza, though. Otherwise, sounds good.