Saturday, November 21, 2009

Twilight SAGA - New Moon

Last night my wife and I went and saw the second attempt to adapt the Twilight SAGA to the big screen. We didn't do the 12:01 midnight showing, which I had kind of hoped for, just to witness genuine female hysteria. I know I must sound very shallow, but I figured based on how cheesy the last one was, watching people freak out would be way more entertaining. The 7:00 PM show last night was certainly no Beatles concert, but it had its moments. I'm always happy to hear people cheer at the beginning of a movie. However, I didn't join them for all the bare chested cheers for Jacob and Edward. Not my "team." Had Bella ripped her shirt off, I would have cheered just to demonstrate equal rights, but I don't like the taste of boots and pepper spray and no such opportunity arose. But I digress...

First off, I will say my hopes for the franchise were fulfilled. They did a much better job with this installment than the last. Would I hold this up with some of my favorite movies? No. Maybe my expectations were sooooo low going in I was going to be pleased with just about anything. If they can keep improving the other two over this one, I'd say this will turn out to be a solid franchise.

Like most blockbusters, this movie had some awful reviews. Currently it sits at 29% on the Rotten Tomatoes meeter, which I would interpret as an overall grade of F-. In fairness, critics usually despise romance because they have no love in their hearts. So I'd say ignore what most of these bitter people have to say. A movie about bridling passions is for empty-headed right-wing religous lemmings or boy-crazy girls (I can't believe I just lumped those two together). I guarantee those pinko Communist critics would have given it 4 stars if this movie involved some bizarre perversions, drug additction, 20 F-bombs or Bella spending half her time trying to save the trees in Forks to get over Edward leaving (that would have been right in line with all of the shameless "green" pandering I saw on NBC this week). A bunch of the critics said the last one was better than this one... ????? Clearly they are on drugs. Did we all see the same corn-ball fest of a movie before? For me this film was 10x better than the first. Here are few reasons why:

  • Special Effects/Action - While not ILM worthy, they were much better, primarily the fact that I wasn't thinking they were bad. The wolves were done well, the fight scene with the Volturi was OK and there were several bits of action chasing Victoria that were better than anticipated. I'd like to now thank the universe or whomever fixed this.
  • Cast - As in the last film, Kristen Stewart carries the film and is 100% believable (for me at least). Its never too much emotion or too little and I'd say that is a very hard balance to strike and she does it incredibly well. Edward is still a tool to me, but whatever, he was hardly in this one! Alice came off much better, Jasper looked a little less constipated, the rest were hardly in the film. High school kids and Charlie were still the best comedy and perhaps there was not enough of them.
  • Jacob - He become the true third piece to the love triangle in this installment. Acting was pretty good. Clearly that guy had much more financial incentive than the other wolves to bulk up or the kid was on steroids. I wonder if his performance should have an asterisk **** next to it. Congress may haul his butt before a tribunal soon so they can pretend to do something useful.
  • Music - Seemed to flow much better with the visuals on the screen this time. Nothing amazing, but worked better this time.
  • Direction/Production - Clearly this film was better produced, directed, edited, you name it, better. I only recall two blatantly cheesy moments. Perhaps they were a homage to the prior crew. I noticed they actually tried to re-do the meadow since it showed up so pitifully last time. Thank you Summit for re-investing some of that $300 million you made off the first flick.

Based on what I saw this time, I definitely have some higher expectations for the next film, which should be the most guy friendly of the whole SAGA. Perhaps my favorite moment was after the credits started to roll, some crusty old guy in front of us said, "Why did she go for that wuss?" Enough said.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

I keep thinking of the song "Blue Moon" whenever I see the title of this movie.

That's as much as I'd like to know about it. :)

Fletch said...

Now that makes me think of "moon river"

Say what you will Cougar, there is no escaping the SAGA.