Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Its Miller Time!!

For those of you who lived in Denver in the spring/summer of 1991, you will undoubtedly remember the invasion of the Miller Months. Its happening again, but not to the extent of what took place in 1991. When it comes to insects, I'm usually a kill first and ask questions later guy. But this time around, I find the phenomenon interesting.

The moths are following an annual migration pattern from the Great Plains to the cooler Rockies during hot summer months. Since Denver became Seattle in recent months with a ton of rain and cooler weather, our dusty friends have decided to stay and get Miller Time started early.

My kids detest, despise and loathe the months with a murderous passion. Feeding on their fear and anger like a crazed Sith Lord, I assaulted and killed nearly 40 months in a single evening until 2AM to get some peace back in the galaxy. Finally the Supreme Commander made me stop since I kept waking her up with my incessant death-strokes. The carnage in bathroom sink was nothing short of desolation on an Ammonihah scale. I'm sure the scent was very troubling to them.

Am I proud of my blood-bath? Not really, but I can't remember the last time I went on such a killing spree since I was 11 with a magnifying glass.

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Gotta love Miller Time! I remember going on a rampage as well. Hollie hates insects too so I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

I am not a level 5 Vegan, but I believe that nobody should kill anything without a purpose. Humans are omnivorous animals, so eating meat is part of our nature. However, killing any animal just because you don't like it or it creeps you out is just not acceptable. Being a vegan is a very environmentally responsible thing to do, as farm animals do create a lot of waste and are partially responsible for global warming. I used to be very afraid of spiders as well, but then I realized that they are not out to harm me. My techniques for catching and releasing insects are as follows:

1. For things that might bite/sting you (bees, large spiders, centipedes, etc): Get a large piece of paper and place it in the path of the insect/arachnid. When it's on the paper, put a large cup or small plastic tub over the bug so that the paper is over all of the edges. Keeping the paper on the container at all times, flip it over so that the bug is inside the container. Put it outside.

2. For insects that won't bite you (small beetles, moths, etc): Very gently try to cup your hand around the insect and carry it outside. It might be freaky at first, but once you get used to it you'll find it to be a rewarding experience.

Daniel said...

Nice "Annie Nonomous" comment.

I also like the 40 months killed in one evening. I occasionally wish I could speed up time like that.

I don't remember 1991 "Miller Time," but I do remember occasional bouts with the millers, good times.