Saturday, April 18, 2009

Filthy Food

I've been to a few heart-attack inducing clubs lately that must be shared.

While in the great state of Kansas, I decided it was time to experience the only thing Kansas is good for: BBQ. The web was searched and all signs pointed to: Hog Wild Pit BBQ. Many would chastise me for eating so much grease, but the following clip explains why I could not resist:


I arrived to find the place near capacity. Random country music serenaded my decision making process, setting me in a mellow mood. Wanting to be sure I tasted as much of the menu as possible, I ordered the 3 meat plate: Hot Links, Brisket and Ribs, accompanied by Texas Toast, Cole Slaw and Mashed Potatoes. [Monty Python holy grail ahhhhs sing in the background]

Within minutes the food was ready. Fast, Filthy & Fabulous. The "F" trifiecta. The hot sauce was phenomenal, not too sweet, some tang and a little heat to the tongue. The hot links were sensational when combined with the extra sauce. The sauce... I could drink a gallon of it or just dip the Texas Toast in it. I'm convinced the only toast they serve in heaven is Texas Toast. The brisket was so tender and smokey it fell apart on the fork. The ribs were outstanding. I embraced the experience of getting totally filthy. Good thing they had a roll of paper towels at the table. I went through 2 or 3 sheets.

The only shortcoming of this place? The instant mashed potatoes. The gravy was nothing special either. However, the slaw was excellent. I recall President Murphy telling me the best way to judge a BBQ joint is by their Cole slaw and this was some of the best I've ever had. If you are ever in Wichita, look this place up and fire up the treadmill. It will be worth it.

As I child, my brothers and I had a horrible sacrilegious practice of raising the pitch of our voices while praying for "the good times" as we knelt around the dinner table. My father got to the point where he censored it from our prayers, but it was still in our hearts. Recently, Jay and I discovered the "Good Times" in the form of such a named restaurant.

Normally I'd say fast food is OK at best, but the sirloin BBQ bacon burger I ordered there rivaled anything I've ever had from Red Robin. Throw in a drink and the surprisingly good Wild Fries and I'm getting a quality burger experience for half the cost. Good Times was born in Boulder and is all over Colorado so go get your filth on.

My final moment of filth comes from Pat's #1 diner, near the Target off Arapahoe near I-25. where they make authentic Philly Cheese steak. I took one Bob Frost, who had recently lost 200 lbs and gave up soda. He had a coke and gained back 100 lbs by the time we were done. No salad could undo the damage of Pat's. The bread was phenomenal. East coast good. To round out the Philly persona, this place offered Tasty Cakes and had a huge poster of Rocky. We rejoiced in the spoil, and you will too.

I think I'm due for 1,000 crunches and sit-ups now. But it was well worth it. STAY FILTHY PEOPLE!

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Gravy train.

Just make sure the StoneHendge doesn't see this post or she will surely force your jaw open and pour wheat grass down your throat.

Muahahaha!

Seth Jenson said...

Nice!! I lived in Overland Park near Kansas City for a summer. It's a shame I didn't know about this place. Would've been a bit of a drive but I could've hit it on the way home. What's your favorite BBQ place in Colorado?

I'll have to check out that diner place some time.