Friday, September 19, 2008

Talk Like a Pirate Day

Today, September 19 is international "Talk Like a Pirate Day." I wish I could say this holiday had been sanctioned by President Bush and the mighty U.S. Government, but who knows? Maybe it will be someday. Pirates of the Caribbean grossed some huge numbers and taught us the truth: pirates are the good guys!!! Thanks to Johnny Depp and Legolas, we all love those adorable rascals and we should have a day to celebrate their vernacular.

This reminds me of one of my all-time favorite "would you rather..." hypothetical questions posed by Tyler Beck, the greatest layman of this special line of inquisition. He asks:

"Would you rather have to end every sentence with 'Arrrr' (like a pirate) or talk with a heavy lisp?"

90% of the time, people take the lisp. Its easier to explain away. Talking like a pirate just means your are crazy. Or perhaps a really big fan of the Seinfeld "pirate shirt" episode or obsessed with some remarkably clever inside joke. The taking of the lisp stops now. Here on International Talk Like a Pirate Day, I challenge each of you no longer accept the lisp and proudly speak like a pirate on this newly especialized day. For more on this madess:


I highly recommend the translator and the survey to find your "inner-pirate." Being a right swarthy mate myself, I took the survey and was found to be "The Cap-n." Now get back to work you scurvy dogs!

1 comment:

Megan Dougherty said...

Hilarious!! ARRR!