Sunday, August 20, 2006

Book Review: Life Expectancy, Dean Koontz


This is the first Dean Koontz book that I've read. I was told that I've become the worst sort of "suburban-mini-van-reader" for doing it. But I loved it. The book is about Jimmy Tock, who's grandfather predicts that Jimmy will have five "terrible days" in his 20's and gives the dates. And then dies. The book is full of wit, suspense, mild horror and I laughed out loud several times. The suspense involving the first day is thick. For my family - the food described in the book is very tantalizing and it was fun to read about another family obessed with food. Most astonishing was the plethora of profound statments about life sprinkled through the book. [I'm not going to quote them so you'll read it.] The book is very readable, but dosen't feel like a Hairless Potter 3rd grade sprint. A word of caution: if you were freaked out by "IT", avoid this book.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The suburban mini van comment was from ONE person. Don't take it to heart. :)

Dead Koontz is the best author I've read. Even after reading 28 of his books I am still just as interested in his books. He certainly has a "feel" to his writing, but thankfully his books are not just regergitations of past stories.

The guy is truly a master story teller.

Fletch said...

I'm owning up to the mini-van. But the suburbs rock. I'm a pure suburbanite baby. YEAH!!