Sunday, July 17, 2016

Numbers Glory Praise of Munns

While serving my mission for the Lord in Boston MASS, we had a saying...

"Numbers, Glory, Praise of Munns."


Munns in this case was my first Mission President. He was a strong leader who demanded excellence and believed in the return and report model of stewardship. Each week, a breakdown of the top zones was faxed to each ZL. As I recall, some matrix with a weighting system was used to determine who was #1. Of course, baptisms gave the most weight, but discussions, contacts, challenges, etc. were all factored.

Many complained about the emphasis on numbers and rankings. It seemed to breed contempt, cynicism and worse, ugly motives for doing the work.  Here are Elder Oak's six reasons for service ranked from least to greatest.

     6. For Riches or Honor
     5. To Obtain Good Companionship
     4. Fear of Punishment
     3. Duty or Loyalty
     2. Hope of an Eternal Reward
     1. Charity - "A More Excellent Way

Numbers, like most things are not good or evil. Lehi would tell us they are things to be acted upon. We who act chose the why, what, when, where, how and ultimately the outcome.  Now that I am intensely involved in the reporting and organization of Home Teaching, I find myself in the same situation as nearly 20 years ago.

During my time in MASS, reasons 6-2 got used more often than I'd care to admit. But I don't regret the reporting and tracking. Without it I'm not sure I would have accomplished as much true charitable service. I think a quote from Brad Wilcox's His Grace is Sufficient sums up the need for reporting and holding ourselves to standards quite well:

If Jesus did not require covenants and bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost, then there would be no way to change. We would be left forever with only willpower, with no access to His power. If Jesus did not require endurance to the end, then there would be no internalization of those changes over time. They would forever be surface and cosmetic rather than sinking inside us and becoming part of us—part of who we are. Put simply, if Jesus didn’t require practice, then we would never become pianists.
...Too many are giving up on [Home Teaching and Reporting] because they are tired of constantly feeling like they are falling short. They have tried in the past, but they always feel like they are just not good enough. They don’t understand grace.
So despite my lack of perfection; I'm not going to give up. In practicing charity and reporting it, I will become more like Him. Those numbers represent people; but they also represent a way for me to measure my progress if I have the right motive. The real problem isn't the numbers, its doing nothing at all.

And by the off chance you know me "IRL" just know this was written much more for me than you.

2 comments:

m.fletch said...

GLORIOUS! GLORY means FULL of LIGHT and JOY!!
But using the Zohopublic.com site like we do in our R.S. might help some with the reporting?

Daniel said...

May you successfully lead the glorious reporting revolution! (I love the zoho public endorsement.)

Now I feel like watching that Tom Cruise home teaching video. So many great lines.

Thanks for sharing your spiritual horcrux.