Friday, September 12, 2014

BYU Football is STILL a Pretender

Like many of you, I was geeked-out by BYU's annihilation of Texas last week. But after watching the Houston game last night on 9/11 with the special helmet decals, BYU is not a playoff contender. I actually quit watching last night in disgust at the start of the 4th quarter. At that point I knew all I needed to know about this season and our chances for real greatness.

You have to put together a dominant, undefeated season like UT, TCU and Boise to get into that conversation. Based on the last 15 years, I don't think they can pull it off and last night proves my point. They should be blowing out teams like that with no let-up. SHOW NO MERCY COUGAR-SAN!!

Plus, BYU simply can't recruit the size/speed needed to really contend with the top programs in the SEC, PAC 12, etc. on a consistent basis. Look at what happened to a dominant UT team once it got into a power conference. Same thing would probably happen to the Cougs.

Some may hate on my comments, but as I quoted yesterday:


Mic drop.

7 comments:

Daniel said...

Love the memes and concise points. I'm very persuaded, in general. (With that said, please connect with Steve Young on LinkedIn, before you quit your day-time job.)

My question for you, wise Sensei, is, "Behold, what shall these my brethren do, for they are despised of all men because of their poverty"?

Fletch said...

Fair question. The short answer is it can't be done with the honor code and the whole Provo thing. It's not a place top talent wants to be. Once there are 10 Jabari Parkers every year, we may have a chance. But I don't see that happening before 2033, so we are never going to win an NCAA championship in FB or BB.

Daniel said...

Hmm. I'm intrigued with that insight.

How would you say https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/1-ne/3.7?lang=eng#6 applies?

Are championships, mammon, and worldly glory outside the designed program?

Fletch said...

Yes, championships are mammon. Or as the Preacher once said:

I have seen all the works (championships) that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit. (Ecl 1:14)

I can't find the reference, but I recall an apostle speaking on BYU and saying the athletics are there for missionary work (PR?). To that end, they are effective and if they stop doing that, then they would be pulled. Look at what happened up at the BYU Potato. CFB may start paying players too which may make funding the program even more difficult.

Daniel said...

Yes, I love the Preacher.

Are you saying funding the football program would be difficult if CFB pays players because it would be in conflict with Church goals?

What happened at the I?

Fletch said...

Not in conflict with church goals, just expensive. May create some headaches. The LDS world doesn't exactly love to pay for labor.

The Potato got rid of the competitive athletic program (when it was known as Ricks) and now they only have intramural sports. This could happen at BYU but its very unlikely. I forecast the status quo will be maintained. Good teams worth following and some buzz, but not genuine contenders.

Really there are only 25 programs that can expect to contend (I'm averaging 5 per power conference) the rest of us should just be happy to watch football and savor the American will to compete and crush each other.

Daniel said...

Are you saying we're cheap? :)

Yes. There's only one true champion, out of so many schools, while the rest go home LOSERS.

I also would be flabberghasted if BYU football were dropped, prior to Armageddon.