Saturday, August 02, 2014

Mile High Spandex

None of you recall a prior post where I recounted my utter failure on a mountain biking expedition at Lair of the Bear, but here it is if you need reference. http://fletchword.blogspot.com/2010/05/lair-o-bear.html. At that time, I thought the guys wearing spandex to go biking were wierdos. Now thanks to a highly addictive introduction to road biking from SFIL-JV (that's step-father-in-law) I'm hooked... and have my own set of spandex.

When you are blessed to be married to a truly exotic and charming woman for 15 years; on your anniversary she will take you to the bike shop to get your "starter" road bike.


Thanks to SFIL-JV I already had the diaper padded spandex shorts, so tossing in a top and some other accouterments; I was read to break in my Fuji Roubix 1.5 this morning.

Sunshine, fresh cut grass, birds chirping and the churning of C-470, the South Platte and Cherry Creek. It was GLORIOUS. According to Cyclemeter, here is my route and stats:



I passed the Broncos having a scrimmage at Mile High, stopped off for a break at Confluence park and basked in the moment before starting the trek home. To the seasoned cyclist, this probably looks pitiful. I'll own that, but it was my first rodeo and I had a good time. What else could I ask for?

View of REI and Starbucks on the north side of the S. Platte River next to Confluence Park

View of the S. Platte looking northeast

View downtown from Confluence Park

Confluence Park

My resting place. Elitch's is just beyond. 
OK. Here are the pics of me in spandex. These were from the Oceanside trip, but whatever. I don't do selfies in spandex. Can't believe it took me this long to discover road biking, but I'm all in now.







1 comment:

m.fletch said...

Hats off to ya guy!!