Thursday, May 27, 2010

LAIR O' THE BEAR

Today, I discovered another sport I stink at - Mountain Biking. Yes, I have a mountain bike and ride it around suburbia with a feisty Lizard on my heels, but this was the real deal.

This was a mix and mingle activity put on by some mortgage brokers and it seemed like a much more interesting way to network than golf or attend a trade show. I was lured in like a moth to the flame. Upon my arrival I was stunned to find that I looked out of place for not wearing spandex. My golf shirt and cargo shorts implied: "TOOL" Several guys asked me if I had ever done this before and I happily told them "no" to which they just laughed and said "good luck."

I was informed that we were taking on a trail in the Lair O' the Bear park that was classified as intermediate difficulty. Like a tool, I got used. First of all, I didn't think we'd be doing much uphill riding. No, we went straight up a typical hiking trail. I enjoy hiking, but never imagined going up on a bike. Better yet, I didn't realize my rental bike had a higher gear setting and after I could no longer breathe and kept loosing my balance, I got off and walked. A 70 year old dude stayed back with me only added to the humiliation as the rest of the pack whizzed by. It was a trail of tears marked by shame.

Once at the top of the hill, I was ready to turn back; but the thrill of downhill was too much for me and I took off. I love the smell of the woods, but its even better at 20 mph. Of course I realized after a few minutes, I'd have to come back up the hill and began to cringe. The rest of the trail was a blast, no more massive inclines, this is the way it should be. I even figured out I had another gear. I was finally getting the hang of it. Then the left pedal on my rental came off.

Fortunately the 70 year old guy had a wrench of sorts and I was able to re-attach the much needed pedal, but it still felt weak. I elected to walk it up hill so I could be sure to have it going downhill and make up time to actually network at the trail head.

I did have the obligatory wipe out on the way back, lost most of the skin on my palms, but had a great time. The 70 year old guy literally took five dives while I was following him. He was one tough but crazy son of a gun. Bloodied like a hockey player - or Steve Nash. I hope he gets around the house alright. Here's a good example.



Needless to say, ski resorts have it right. Let machines take you to the top and then ride down. Now its time to get some rest and regrow some skin.

2 comments:

Daniel said...

This was a post to remember.

I'm glad you defaulted on not wearing spandex, actually. I can see how it'd have its advantages, though.

Love that you refer to the gentleman assisting you as the 70 year old dude/guy. I just hope no one in your network ever reads your blog . . . :)

Fun video by the way. But I want one of vou. (Sp. intentional.)

CCF and JRF said...

Wow. I read that and I could feel your pain. From the outfit to the loss of layers of skin. I felt you on all of that and could easily see myself in your place. I hope you heal quickly and I prefer board games with the 70 year old dudes, I cant hang with uphill and spills at my age, takes me as long as 70 year old dudes to heal.

It was painful, but I enjoyed the sharing of your adventure and the painful humble honesty. You could of told a much different version and we would have believed it. The one where you schooled them all and had the best spandex of the bunch, although I am with CA on the original thoughts of Spadix... Advantages for aerodynamics or not, it just isn't something I am ever comfortable seeing anyone in. No matter how fit they are...

JRF