Monday, January 21, 2013

No to Thank You

I was brought to my attention about a year ago that the staff at Chic-fil-A is trained say "my pleasure" whenever you say thank you. At first this didn't bother me but over my next visit or two, it started to annoy the heck out of me. I had a day trip for business a week ago and I made it my goal not to say thank you at any point during the transaction.

Rather than saying thanks I say:

Yep
That's fantastic
Good deal
Cool
Sweet
Word
Solid

Not once have they responded with "my pleasure" to any of the above.

Am I being a jerk or saving these poor workers from saying something they don't mean? Am I not saving them from four extra lies in a given day?

People don't typically say my pleasure any more instead of the more common "you're welcome." It implies something more intimate than just common courtesy or performing one's duty. Maybe our society is so over sexed that the word pleasure simply can't be attached to anything non-sexual without some level of discomfort. Regardless, I'm going to carry on in my private crusade to have a more honest interaction with the Chic-fil-A staff. Join me if you are tired of the lies.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

All I have to say is thank you for writing this post. It was my pleasure to read it.

Fletch said...

Fools mock, but they shall mourn.

GIVE ME THE REFERENCE!!!

Daniel said...

And my grace is sufficient. Nice. Is that Ether 12:25 or 26?

:)