Sunday, June 24, 2012

Kenosha Pass

Yesterday was a Saturday I will always treasure. The Gator and I made a big road trip for work though Grand Junction and Montrose and on the way home capped it off with a 5.5 mile hike through some aspen woods at Kenosha Pass.

For those of you that don't know, my father died due to an accident on Kenosha Pass March 7, 1992, just three days shy of his 50th birthday. He was building a snow cave as part of winter surival training with the Boy Scouts on the annual Klondike Klonderee, which usually takes place at Kenosha Pass. This event features various Troops from the area competing in sledding races, winter survival techniques and snowshoeing.

I've never camped at Kenosha Pass and for years after my father's death I had no desire to see the place. But after 20 years and a wonderful email from my mother in March celebrating my dad's life, I felt a sudden desire to go there and see the area where the accident happened. It only seemed appropriate to take my only son with me. Even though Dad is gone, a part of him was there that day through me, my son and perhaps future generations yet to come. Next to the campground is the Colorado Trail, which we followed on this outing. Here is a breif description of the trail.

"The Colorado Trail is Colorado’s premier long distance trail. Stretching almost 500 miles from Denver to Durango, it travels through the spectacular Colorado Rocky Mountains amongst peaks with lakes, creeks and diverse ecosystems. Trail users experience six wilderness areas and eight mountain ranges topping out at 13,271 feet, just below Coney Summit at 13,334 feet. The average elevation is over 10,000 feet and it rises and falls dramatically. Users traveling from Denver to Durango will climb 89,354 feet." 

This truly is a beautiful hike and is easily accessible off Highway 285 about 1 hour from the C-470 beltway in Denver. The trailhead is right off the highway and parking lot and within moments you are instantly in a lush Aspen wood with wild flowers, which I think my Dad would appreciate. After a gentle 1 mile hike, through the aspens, the trail opens to a beautiful view of a valley and peaks in the distance. The day of our hike was a bit overcast due to forest fires. I'll admit, I had a bit of a lump in my throat initially on the hike, but once we got rolling I realized how grateful I was to be there with my own son enjoying nature together. Here is a slideshow.

   

And now onto a different subject with a different tone...

CONEY ISLAND BOARDWALK - BAILEY, CO

In the above slideshow you can see some photos of where we had dinner after the hike. For many a moon I've passed by this massive stucco hot dog and wondered if it was any good since it looks like a total tourist trap. If I were General Calrissian someone might yell at me:


No joke, it took 45 minutes to get food with 8 people in front of me. At 8:03 PM I was admitted to the register to order. at 8:18 with nearly 2 people looking at me for 15 minutes, someone came up to take my order. During that time, I realized this is one of the last places left in America where white kids under the age of 16 are still working and eating onion rings in front of the customers while they work. This place is a complete joke. Sub-par braut did not justify the wait. Apparently making milkshakes is the kryptonite of this place. The kids in front of me waited 15 minutes for theirs... BECAUSE IT WAS MADE FROM SCRATCH??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? HAVEN'T THESE PEOPLE EVER BEEN TO COSTCO!?!?!!? IT JUST HOT DOGS!!! PULL OUT SOME BUNS, SLAP A WIENER IN THEM AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO!!!! 

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

How do you yell at some poor kid about the service when his father will likely belt him for it? Its almost genius. 

For more light reading on how much I despise waiting for food that will kill me:

FYI - I went to Wendy's in Conifer instead of getting a shake after what I saw there. It all took less than 45 seconds. After I paid at the first window, they were standing there at the next window ready to hand me my frosty. I narrowly escaped crying.

THANK YOU CORPORATE AMERICA! Family businesses operated by kids ARE A COLOSSAL WASTE OF AMERICAN TIME AND BLOOD. 

3 comments:

Rooster said...

Great photos of you and the little guy. Your dad would be proud.

Rock Solid said...

I loved the photos of Kenosha Pass. Thank you.

Daniel said...

I previously failed to realize Kenosha Pass was the site of the accident. I imagine it must have been a special experience going there with the Gator and everything, so thanks for sharing.

Love the Von Trap. John thinks I'm a Russian Spy. Is that what you think?

Regarding the stucco dog experience, take heart. Thanks to President Obama's self-contradictory [pandering] on immigration, there will soon be plenty of people willing to work for minimum wage (or less if the owner has a high risk tolerance) and displace the inefficient, 16-year-old yokels. Back to the strap with 'em!