Thursday, June 21, 2012

Rock of Ages

If you know me at all, you know I'm a huge hair metal fan. Teenage years filled with Def Leppard, Winger, Van Halen, G&R, Metallica, Whitesnake and Motley Crue practically broke my neck and my fingers bled on my air guitar. Naturally Rock of Ages was a must see event.

But I cannot recommend you see this film. However, here are some stupid comments that should not stop you from seeing it:

It was all just a bit too much "Broadway." I'm not a fan of bringing American Idol style singing to rock music. Only one man has ever done that right and NO; A-Lamb was not in this movie... although he would have been great.

Much of the lip syncing was slightly off or too obvious. Most of the scenes with Da Huff and classic 80s wuss guy did nothing for me. Overall, the music was fun and often clever with the story, although a little too "CUTE" for my taste as I love the angst and power of metal vocals. I'm sure I've posted this before but this is a good example of how to sing metal. NOT LIKE MARIAH CAREY. (skip fowrad to the 2 minute mark for full effect)


Alec Baldwin and Russel Brand were a good Broadway comic relief duo and Baldwin was truly that creepy old metal guy that probably raped an average of one groupie a week at his bar.

I know I'm complaining about a Broadway musical being too Broadway on the big screen, but I'd like to say I probably would have the same issues after paying $300 to see the play in person.

Best reason to see this movie? TOM CRUISE. His performace basically justified the whole thing. the codpiece, "Heyman" the monkey, it was all freakin hilarious.

But this movie honestly pushed PG-13 beyond my comfort zone. If I had more salt in me, I would have walked out. While I enjoy Yoga, Pilates and Planking upside down as much as the next man, I don't need 8 minutes of it in a strip club, even if the women keep their tops on. There is an entire Tom Cruise song that is basically 'singing sex' and let's just leave it at that. I know the point was to show how sex crazed the Rock scene was in LA, but either go NC-17 and leave me out of it or make it so I don't have to shower when I get home.

Despite the tone of this post, I tremendously enjoyed the movie but am sad to say I cannot tell you to go see it unless you want to check some things at the door. I seriously doubt this is a movie I'll ever watch again. In the meantime, here is a classic from DOKKEN that embodies the spirit of the movie and which I'm sure none of you have seen:


No comments: