Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Vacation in the Trees

Earlier this month the fam and I took our bi-annual trip to the east coast to visit the people in the trees. The kids played and many touristy things were done:

  1. DC Temple - Went to the visitors center, walked the grounds wit the kids... Commando Cub enjoyed the on-site forest walk. Good thing it was a Sunday and closed or we would have been quite disruptive.
  2. Great Falls - Whenever you visit a place don't question the name to the locals. Upon viewing the "falls" I declared them to be rapids in a river. This didn't go over too well. Not sure why its such an attraction, but on the east coast, I suppose anything that isn't a hoard of trees is notable. Odd note: one of the few times I've gone to a nature site full of people and virtually no white folks. 
  3. Smithsonian - Our attempts to visit the Washington monument were foiled and thanks to 97 degree heat and 200% humidity, the kids were freaking out. We finally made it to the American History Museum and the best part was walking in the door and feeling my tax dollars in the form crisp AC. We meandered from there to the Natural History Museum at which point I snuck off to see "YEVES KLEIN - WITH THE VOID, FULL POWERS." The name alone made the trip meaningful. Since I was wearing a deep blue polo, I felt like I was part of the exhibit. I later witnessed the flooding of a McDonald's. Honestly, I liked the modern art section at the DAM better, but then I'm a shameful homer for Denver. One last note: don't ride the train. There is a big man near the exits who shakes you upside down to make sure they got all your money before you can exit. 
  4. SICK - Everyone either puked or was attacked by severe rectal vomiting during the trip.
  5. MOUNT VERNON - I'd say this is a must-see if you are going to D.C. The new museum added in 2007 was tremendous and inspirational. It held the kids attention. Heck it held my attention. The sub woofers in the theater literally shake your seat (Yep). The house and grounds were lovely. I'd say avoid the boat ride. Not exactly worth the fee. 
  6. OCEAN CITY - Nasty waves, nasty rip tide and me, the nasty dude. My burial in the sand by the children was foiled by my subsequent resurrection, much to the astonishment of curious onlookers. 
  7. HERSHEY PARK - I thought it would be small, but compared to Elitch's this was a big time amusement park. Disregarding the tour of the chocolate factory (I doubted they had a waterfall), I set out on a quest. A QUEST FOR FUN! Even though the adults hated me, I made it on 7 of 8 major roller coasters at the park and still squeezed in some parental moments (SUPER VATER). Mr. Gator was a trooper, but eventually ran out of gas. Thanks to my brilliance, the key to the van was lost, but by some miracle it was turned into the lost and found. Thus having avoided utter familial disaster I proceeded to drive back to D.C. arriving at 2AM thanks to my sheer intestinal fortitude. 
  8. SLEEP - My theme park heroics were followed with a day of sleeping on various couches around the house and watching bizarre French films on Netflix.
YOU HANGERS!!!
So that was it in a nutshell. I've typed all of this out not because you give a rip about my vacation, but to prove I did something other than work for a week. Had my sister not been at the helm of planning, I would have just played Wii and watched movies. My life is the better for it. Not to mention the obscene doughnuts we had. Now, onto the slide show!  

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Other than the occasional lack of intestinal fortitude, it sounds like this was a very enjoyable trip.

Well done, Jedi Master.

Rock Solid said...

Is that bi-annual or biennial?

Daniel said...

An intriguing distinction.

Well, F-Word?