Saturday, August 28, 2010

Book & Movie Club - Iteration Whatever

Time to breakdown of my latest reads & viewings. (Can you stand the excitement?)

Brave New World - I took this down via PDF on my iBooks app on my iPhone during my iVacation. Everything is better with an "i" in front of it.After reading 1984 about a year ago, I felt I was obligated to go to opposite end of the dystopia spectrum and get reacquainted with this book. (I must confess I never actually read it in high school). For any unfamiliar with the plot, this book is about a perfect future society that has done away with pain and problems through technology and drugs. A savage man from an uncivilized reservation is brought to the Brave New World and havoc ensues.

While I was reading this I kept asking myself would I prefer to live in the 1984 world or this one? I'd like to think I'm tough enough to fight big brother and survive the Ministry of Love and perhaps change the world; but ultimately I'd probably choose to have a boring job, no family a bunch of ultra 3-D movies and Soma vacations. If I rebelled against the system, I'd just have to go live with some other interesting people and die.

For you LDS people, if Satan had his way and got to execute his plan would it look more like 1984 or Brave New World? Personally I don't think anyone would sign up for 1984, but if we were tricked into it, it would be a way to inflict maximum pain and misery on people so I'd have to vote for that one.

Ultimately, the Savage in the this book goes crazy, whipping himself every time he thinks a perverse thought and commits suicide after some bizarre orgy. So neither science or religion (if they have to be set against each other) comes out looking like a winner in this book. [This doesn't exactly make up for not reading the book in Mr. Fair's class, but better late than never].

Murder on the Orient Express - I listened to this a few days ago while driving to Grand Junction. I knew nothing of the plot and really enjoyed it. I must admit, I didn't remotely see the solution and felt like my brain was a pretzel trying to keep track of the facts. The investigator Hercule Poirot (far more enjoyable than Robert Langdon) is a great character with his sense of humor and wit. After finishing, I decided to watch the movie and see the 1974 adaptation. It was in a word: TERRIBLE. I thought it would live up to Murder on the Nile, but it was dreadfully boring and I fell asleep. 

Dinner for Schmucks -  I saw the French version of this over a year ago and expected the American version to be terrible, but I was mildly surprised. I often find a movie is worth my time if there is one character that grabs my imagination and makes me laugh. In this flick it was Kieran, the modern artist with "ANIMAL MAGNETISM."



This guy just cracked me up. He seemed vaguely familiar to me and later that night I shot up in bed and pronounced to my befuddled Boss that he was the actor was from the Flight of the Chonchords, famous for their unplugged hit, "Business Time." The mind control guy was awesome too. This movie left me in stitches and wondering who I want to be for Halloween this year.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - If you are prone to seizures, don't see this movie. Its a very unique film, played out like a video game with endless pop-ups and lots of teen angst music. The first 10 seconds of the 8-bit Universal logo and theme song set the stage perfectly. Of course, I loved it. I was even more surprised that the Boss loved it. Perhaps more than me. Some random thoughts as I watched this:

  1. Since when is some Goth chick worth fighting for?
  2. I think the Asian girlfriend was Cho Chang from HP. If so, she was tiny in this movie. That makes Dan Radcliffe even smaller in real life.
  3. Brandon Routh has acted once again!!! Now he is an evil super-powered Vegan bass player. Almost unrecognizable from his days as the man-o-steel. 
  4. I need to give up on reality and enjoy the show. 
  5. The 1-up, replay was a gamer's delight. Very well done. (you'll have to see it).
  6. The use of Zelda music in several scenes nearly brought my inner child to tears.
  7. This is a perfect example of how Sesame Street empowered a generation of idiots with short attention spans.
Ultimately, this is a very interesting movie. Its very high energy and got a bit tedious (for me) but if you love video games and randomness, this should be in your wheel house.

 A-Team - Much better/funnier than expected.

4 comments:

Jay said...

After reading 1984 last year, I too tried reading A Brave New World. I couldn't get past the first quarter of it. It was dreadful and boring so I moved on to more interesting ventures (like watching grass grow).

Murder on the Orient Express was my first Agatha Christie novel. I started with that one years ago because (apparently) it is her most famous. I found it terrible. Pretty much everything I've read by her since has been far superior. This "solution" you mention is the very thing that made me cringe and roll-my eyes with agony. SO stupid.

Daniel said...

So you caved in and became an iMan? At least you're reading books on it, instead of poking 2k+ Facebook friends.

I may have to go back and completely read BNW, myself. I think it's a very intriguing vision.

Is that Kirby on the Schmucks video?

Pilgrim sounds interesting, I often relish Nintendo throwback music.

Thanks for the iReviews. Just promise me you'll refrain from charging $.99 a pop.

Fletch said...

Dude. That was Steve Carrell. Star of the film and THE OFFICE.

Fletch said...

Sad to say: Pilgrim may be the best action sequences of 2010.