Thursday, May 13, 2010

Maui Book Club

While basking in the glow of a corporate "advance" in Maui I discovered my inner power animal and how to deal with owls, lions and a flock of seagulls. I also read a few books.


EMPIRE - The back cover says this is a disturbing look at a possible future where a civil war breaks out between the Ultra-left and Uber-right. This effort from Orson Scott card did not resonate with me like his Ender series - AKA the greatest tribute ever written to passive aggressiveness.

The characters were not believable, the plot was ludicrous. Upset with George Bush, the Progressive Restoration Movement - secretly led and financed by a billionaire left-wing extremist known as "Aloe Vera" builds an under-lake army of AT-STs and hover bikes. They invade NYC after murdering the President, VP and Secretary of State in a terrorist attack blamed on Al-queda leaving a Mormon to pick up the pieces as president. Its a book where the author is trying to show off his Russian nesting dolls. There's a secret within a secret within a secret. But when you get down to it. There just a tiny wooden doll that leaves you disappointed.


THE LAST KINGDOM - If any of you men reading this ever think you are loosing your masculinity or drive to eat an enormous drumstick while slamming you fist on the table screaming "BRING ME MY DRINK WOMAN!!" then read this book. Or just read it for the sheer joy of testosterone that will flood your body as you read about the glamour of 9th century warrior life. I promise at least 30 new chest hairs at completion.

This is a historical work of fiction starring Uthred, a young English noble who has his homeland invaded by the Danes (Vikings) in the 9th century. Raised by the Danes after taking him captive, he is torn between the warrior lifestyle he loves with the Danes and his homeland. All of England begins to fall to the invaders in bloody fashion. Only Alfred the Great stands between the Danish conquest and history hangs in the balance. Uthred plays his role as history unfolds. Bernard Cornwell is simply a fantastic testosterone author. This book is like Braveheart on steroids. I'll severely recommend this to SDMAMaddog and anyone else who thinks they can handle the raw power in this book.

With a book this awesome about medieval fighting why are we re-making Robin Hood for the 40th time? Sad. This is a trilogy and I'm already starting on the next book, The Pale Horseman.

5 comments:

Jay said...

I have to agree about Empire. It was one of the worst books I've ever read. It was TERRIBLE. If you'd ready my blog bashing it, perhaps you could have saved yourself some trouble. :)


Funny thing is... book two of the series just came out and I find myself strangely wanting to read it... in spite of book 1's terribleness.

Fletch said...

Yes, I hate to admit I have the same feelings about the second Empire book. I'll let you go first.

Daniel said...

Are these books really short or did they just give you oodles of time to read. OR are you just an insanely fast reader?

Don't keep me guessing.

Fletch said...

I'd been reading Empire for nearly a month. I blew through The Last Kingdom on the flight home (a red eye) and I can't sleep on a plane.

And yes, my reading speeds are clocked at the brink of insanity!!! MWHAHAHAHAHA.

Daniel said...

I hear that about the plane ride.

Brink of insanity, eh? Sounds pretty fast.