Saturday, May 15, 2010

Death, BBQ and a Theory

Fantasy vs. Baseball - Think about any guy you know where his favorite sport is baseball (or a very close second). I will guarantee 90% of the time this guy will not enjoy fantasy or sci-fi movies. They will tolerate rom-coms (AKA roofies), but use them as a commodity. I know of only one genuine exception to my rule. But the real question is why????

I can only guess that dudes who can endure hours of boring baseball and mundane color anecdotes do not enjoy material that stretches beyond normal. Therefore, wizards are fake and stupid. Sci-fi is for nerds imagining a future where they are cool or powerful. To their credit, I've known a few of these guys who have attempted to like fantasy or sci-fi, but ultimately can't deny their true nature. One easy way to spot these guys? They will always prefer the Bourne trilogy to a popular fantasy/sci-fi trilogy or series.

Of course, this theory is still in progress I welcome any real or fake comments.

Nordy's BBQ - Since returning to the Mile High City, I have lamented the fact we have no good BBQ joints. Until now... I have found a place where the brisket falls apart on your fork... where smokey tender ribs are so good you'll drop to your knees and thank heaven PETA and their hordes of naked nymphomaniacs haven't outlawed eating meat. Nordy's brought me out a Louisiana Special that was enough food to feed me and two small children (stuffed - seriously). All major sauce styles were present: Texas, Kansas City, Jalapeno and Memphis. I'm a KC guy and I could eat a bowl of it with some Texas Toast. All of this may sound too good to be true for a man in the Metro area. Well, it is. The big downer about Nordy's is that its up in Windsor and the waitress told me it would be 4 years before we get a location in the Denver area. Is anticipation better than the real thing? My trips up there will help solve that axiom for me.


Departures - Winner of the Oscar for the Best foreign film in 2009, this a movie I thoroughly enjoyed. A failed Cellist moves back to his hometown to start a new life and finds a career in assisting deceased persons with encoffinment - a ceremony performed before mourners. This movie resonated with me as the son of a Cellist and someone who lost his father early in life. I laughed hard and cried during this film. It made me feel grateful to be alive and not take those I love for granted. If foreign movies are not your thing, I hope you'll make an exception for this one. It is not a typical popcorn movie and the plot does not zing along at a high clip. Rather it gives you time to digest the ideas and feel emotion. Definitely a new favorite I'll be bugging people to watch for years to come.


5 comments:

Daniel said...

I think you'll have to flesh this "theory" out a little more before Yours Truly can truly critique it.

I didn't know you were such a BBQ master that you knew all the various sauces and even which you associate yourself with the most. Yes, F-Word, at first you were but the taster . . .

Departures, eh? Where did you hear about this one? As a son of a cellist, I think I'm coming to appreciate this type of movie much more than the miraculous, throw-your-fist-in-my-face-in-30-different-ways-that-all-feel-like-the-same-thing, movie.

Fletch said...

More flesh is often innapropriate. Just find a baseball lover and put it to the test. I need your help to test this theory.

Departures was recomended to me on Netflix. I had no idea when I wateched it, that it had won the Oscar. You should be able to find it a Blockbuster.

CCF and JRF said...

Looks like a good movie. I know a couple baseball people, cut I don't usually talk about sci-fi movies, but there is an ENORMOUS flaw in your theory. Asians LOVE baseball, and Asians for the most part LOVE sci-fi. I suppose I haven't been to Japan recently, but I doubt there is a big divide there. Maybe it's only for Western minds. As for barbeque, I'll have to let PETA know about your outpost. I'll calm my vegetarian leanings and not comment further. :-) Besides, who doesn't love watching the girls in bikinis talk about how good soy dogs are on Public Access television. Absolutely entertaining.

-CCF

Fletch said...

Blast those Asians! I'd bet many Latins are the same. I guess theory is a bust. But I've often found it to be true with my Komrades.

Collette Jeffs said...

We saw Departures a couple of months ago a few times and appreciated it as well. We'll recommend it to anyone.
I didn't read the rest of your blog yet so that's all I'm going to say right now :)