Monday, February 08, 2010

Taboo lifted by SB44

Wow. I'm still shocked the Colts lost, especially due to a pick-6 on "the greatest QB ever." I guess the great Peyton Manning showed he's still weak in the post season with a 9-9 record. I'm very happy for the Saints. Take those bags off your heads and breathe in the gumbo; a well deserved win. It almost reminds me of Creek loosing to Columbine back in 99. Sometimes Karma dictates a win for the fans.

Despite the drama and pageantry of the game, the best part of the Super Bowl for me was an ad that has broken a taboo barrier imposed on me by the boss.

For years, I have joked about what sort of food I'd like to be buried in (after I'm dead, unlike the commercial). The boss said I could never blog about it due to the humiliation it would bring to me, but now that Doritos has made this sort of ritual public; I see no shame in giving my Top 5:
  1. Beans & Rice - the good stuff from Puerto Rico. Developed during my mission in Boston, I often hoped we would knock on the door of some family making a massive dinner.
  2. Biscuits & Gravy - developed during my college years.
  3. A Cafe Rio Salad, smothered in the Tomatillo Ranch Dressing.
  4. Green Curry with Japanese Eggplant
  5. Corn Chips with a dual chamber crock pot stewing Nacho Cheese and Little Smokies marinating in BBQ sauce. Yes, prime Super Bowl fare.

The question is would this stuff be in containers or just dumped on me? Considering the dignity I owe my maker in death, I would have to go with containers to abstain from gross sacrilege. If you think there is some other food to be considered please let the boss know so she can plan accordingly.

4 comments:

CCF and JRF said...

I think a desert, something sweet tasting to balance the interesting combination of food your taking "to go" with you...

Fletch said...

Excellent point. I think I'd have to take the B.T.S. cake. Or a simple scoop of vanilla on top of a warm brownie.

Watching that commerical also makes me thirsty. That might be a personal hell to be stuck in a casket of salty food with no water.

Daniel said...

Seems like you would need chicken enchiladas, CAC, and probably spaghetti pie.

As for myself, I would definitely need my wife's home made spaghetti and meatballs along with a ginormous slab of her shepherd's pie.

To counter the thirst, I'd take a large jug of her homemade Brazilian lemonade (thank you, Tucanos).

BTW, your thirst fear makes me think of that scene in 3 amigos where I think Steve Martin (I can't remember the character name) gets a drop or two, Ned gets sand, and Dusty gets a huge drink and then like drops/tosses it on the ground and it spills out.

I can picture your face as SM/Ned looking on: :O (!!!)

CCF and JRF said...

I suppose there will be no dead potatoes at your funeral. I like this list. I've actually been going back to a lot of the old favorites and been trying to refine them. You could make some really killer versions of all of these.

This, however, should be your cake.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankfarm/711224829/sizes/l/

I've made it before, and had it at the bakery. Best. Cake. Ever. ...seriously.

Here's the slice view. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennifer/434754288/

You can make it at home too you know. Let me know if you're interested...

-CCF