Sunday, November 24, 2013

Catching Fire - Merchandising!

Catnip. A Baker's son with a name that sounds like Pita and the boy named Gale. Love triangle shoved down our throats for all the Twihards. And a bloody revolution. These are the 75th Hunger Games and it definitely caught fire on the screen. Rarely do I say this, but I think I liked the movie better than the book. 

WHY???

It simply spares you the one thing I detest in this series. Endless insufferable whining from Katniss. Instead, it focuses on the pain and courage required for a rebellion. I honestly don't feel like all of the detail of the book made it more enjoyable. I'd say I liked it better than the first movie as well. Plus, Caesar is even more fun to watch in this installment. 

My personal favorite moment. Early on, Katniss is about to shoot some wild Turkeys. As she draws back for the shot, I heard the Boss chanting, kill, kill, kill, kill... She really hates those animals. Ask her about it sometime. 

So back to the point of my heading. This is one of those movies where you can sell action figure dolls, but not much else without serious backlash. But if we threw out the whole PC issue, here is some merch I would totally love to buy:
  • Finnick's Trident - The Gator would flip out with that featured under the tree. 
  • Peeta's "Easy Bake" Bakery - If girls can make brownies with light bulbs, then my son can make a lovely rosemary olive loaf too. 
  • Dresses and Suits that burst into flames for teenagers. Prom. Legendary. 
  • Dream Light - Let your child find soothing comfort in a favorite tribute doll that plays the capitol theme song while shining the dead of the day on the ceiling. They could customize it so you can upload photos to show the bully from school or the mean girl who said your arms look fat. I always sleep better pondering the death of my enemies. 
  • And Chocolate bars for each of the 12 districts. Nothing sweeter than feasting on the oppressed. 
Yeah. Like my merch, this whole book series for teens is pretty messed up. My only hope is that since this film largely succeeded in removing all of the Katniss drama, perhaps they can do the same with the third book and let this trilogy end in something other than disgrace. 

1 comment:

Daniel said...

I'm confident Yogurt, the Space Balls character, is smiling down upon this post.