Sunday, September 16, 2012

No Psycho Ex-Girlfriend? Same Problem

Last night BYU somehow was in a position to tie a game they had no business winning. And I would have been very happy to abuse Ute fans for LITERALLY blowing it for their team. Sad to say, how often do fans actually affect the outcome of a game? Leave it to the Muss to "Muff it."

But I digress, we lost and our opponent was missing their starting quarterback and running back. Generally in a tough rivalry game, that is a death sentence. But considering BYU's fragile psyche when playing the Utes, nothing surprises me. Over the last decade, the only way the Cougars seem to be able to win is through some ridiculous miracle. 

God's will or just the collective effect of frenzied minds? I'll take the latter. 

In the past, I've picked on Max Hall's ghastly performance against Utah and labeled him the Psycho Ex-Girlfriend. For the full bizarre explanation: http://fletchword.blogspot.com/search?q=psycho+ex. Some choice words from PExG after BYU's last win in the rivalry. 

"I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, their fans. I hate everything. It felt really good to send those guys home."
— Former BYU quarterback 

In football language, that is psycho-ex talk. Of course, this led to one of the coolest shirts ever for our rivals to wear. 

Despite my acidic comments about Max, the venerable keeper of all BYU Lore, the man who's lips always speak the words of BYU still ranks him #5 on his all time list of tossers at the Y. 


But Psycho-Ex didn't play in this game. However, over the last decade Max was the pure embodiment of a much, MUCH larger phenomenon. 

THE ENTIRE BYU PROGRAM SUFFERS FROM PSYCHO EX-GIRLFRIEND SYNDROME ON RIVALRY WEEK. 

How sad. If you've been watching these games, the U just comes out with superior intensity and poise for this match-up. They take risks and play like crusaders with Jerusalem at stake. Are they perfect? Of course not. But the Cougars act like they are too cool for it or this is business as usual or just rack up 6 false-starts like a bunch of pantie-waist idiots. Note for the O-line:

IF YOU CAN'T HEAR, LOOK AT THE DANG BALL BEFORE IT IS SNAPPED!!! IF D-LINEMEN CAN DO IT, SO CAN YOU!!!

When was the last time BYU dominated in this match-up? I can't recall and I leave it to Lore-Master Sucher to tell that tale (if he can get his cell phone working after hurling it at a helpless bag of chips after that blown snap. That play was pop-warner craptastic). 

Ultimately, I think it all comes down to Bronco. He does not have his team mentally or emotionally prepared for this game and it continues to show year after year in his tenure. You date the crazy girl because there are some amazing things she does in this rivalry. But like most psycho exes, I spend most of my time trying to forget... and weeping in a cold shower after lighting my clothes on fire.  

5 comments:

Daniel said...

I fully expect to see this post on the side-column's GREATEST HITS list. I'm impressed, sir.

I'm still disappointed about Max's tirade. In my mind, it typifies a desecrated opportunity for a BYU player to exemplify greatness and magnanimity. I know people like to mock (or take way too seriously) the concept that BYU is the Lord's school. On the other hand, it is controlled, funded, etc. by the Church, and I expect to see its representatives consistently and unassumingly portray its core values, and who is a more visible BYU representative than a currently enrolled and successful quarterback (aside from the Young Ambassadors, of course)?

I'm intrigued with the decision to pin the blame on the Bronco. I do expect coaches to prepare their players for big games, including their mindset. On the other hand, I choose to blame the team psychiatrist. I feel like I'm rarely particularly impressed or blown away with how well the Utes play BYU (I apologize for the candor) and more often astonished at how terribly the Cougars fall apart against Utah:

Consider, Minister--against all school rules--after all the precautions put in place for their protection--offsides, at night, consorting with countless penalties and blunders--and I have reason to believe they have been visiting Hogless Yogi illegally too.

(P.S. I miss watching the games, instead of game-casting them. I do, however, relish the uncommon play highlight jewels . . .)

Fletch said...

The greatest hits is determined auto-magically by blogger based on hit counts. I'll have to look into one that I control.

Bronco is the team psychiatrist and therefore, I lay it all at his doorstep. I think he can do it, he's just got to get mad enough to do so.

To your point, the Utes make plenty of mistakes, but if you watch the whole game, the body language of the players, coaches and the types of penalties, it shows if anything they are too amped up and make dumb mistakes. I'll at least take that over apathy and scared O-linemen that can't watch the ball.

Rooster said...

One of your best posts...

And how appropriate to come after your previous posting of Elder Holland and levaing your religion at the door. Bronc - seemed to take Coach Holland's speech to heart. To him it was just another game. To Utah, it was the Rivalry Game. Not sure if that explained why he decided to punt it with 8:00 minutes to go from their 40. Agreed, Bronco needs to find the right blend of righteous intensity...maybe he has(d) it?

Fletch said...

Playing to win the game...

IS NOT CHECKING YOUR RELIGION AT THE DOOR. ITS LIVING IT!!

Daniel said...

Let's bring Lavell out of retirement, only for the rivalry game. He was what, like 30-2 against the Utes?