Wednesday, August 31, 2011

DEFIANCE

The Gator is reaching what I like to call the Houdini stage of childhood. The little mechanical engineer in their brain starts to wake up and realize they can open doors, get out of car seats, bake cookies, light the cat on fire and refuse to take naps or go to bed.

So the Boss and I have begun the Battle of the Blanket with Gator. After several victories, I decided to put one of those "Childproof" handle covers on his doorknob inside his bedroom so he can't get out. Most of us adults know you can break them off by splitting them from the middle. So does Gator.

The Boss called me at work today to let me know that shortly after putting him in his room for his nap, she sat down with Coco for a restful feeding. But moments later, a little head rounded the corner. He gave her a stern "you shouldn't have done that" glare and threw the two halves of the cover in her face at the same time.

But this is not an isolated incidence.

A week after Coco's arrival, I went to church with the family. During the opening hymn, I was asked to help the Deacons with the Sacrament. Without thinking I jumped up leaving the Lizard to watch El Burr and Gator. Well, this had been a tough week for the Man-cub and this act of treason by his dad was too much. I got a tap on the shoulder from Jake who informed me that my son was "throwing" a fit.

Apparently, moments after I left the bench (hard to hear all of this with the music going), Gator yelled "NO!" and with both arms threw his toy box cars across the aisle at an unsuspecting parishioner. He then proceeded to pick up the hymnals and throw them over the bench and on the floor. He them picked up my scriptures and  tossed them at the family behind us. At this point, with great reluctance, Jake called on me to stop the fracas.

This is a great example of how the people in my congregation failed me. With all of the smartphones in the room not one person captured this event. Sure, we can catch all of those ignoramus athletes when the do something stupid, but catching a shot-put exhibition in the middle of Sacrament meeting is apparently too much to ask. I'm sure this would have gotten 1M hits if it could have been captured. But all I have is the re-created memory in my head.

I'm pleased to say Gator hasn't resorted to violence against Coco, but he sure is throwing a fit. The following video embodies the spirit of this month for the Gator:

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Loved the dramatizations, thanks!

Setting the cat on fire? Is this a knife fights in the parking lot type of assertion?

So, if I'm understanding correctly, he figured out how to remove the special door knob cover and then escape? We have yet to employ door protections, other than closing it -- I think she's still too short to open it. On the other hand, our engineer likes to stroll out at, say, 5:45am (or sometimes earlier). I think she usually wants to grab all her comfort objects, score some kind of beverage, and kick it in our bed ("with our without [us]" in it). I've started to put up my own defiance, and, thankfully, she generally seems to relent, once she's got a sip cup in hand, comfort objects abounding, and the soothing sounds of the jungle, echoing in her ears.

Oh, regarding the Sacrament experience, I can picture it in my mind, and I've +1'd it about 1M times. =D Yes, please instruct your fellow ward members to capture these choice memories on video, at least for the children (posterity).

Fletch said...

I should add the Gator LOVES that youtube clip. We had to re-watch it about 7 times.

AGAIN!!!

Jake said...

You are right, I should have recorded it because I had the perfect vantage point. My favorite part was watching him spike your triple combination.

Madsen Family said...

Jon, I feel your pain. When that happened with us we had to get the crib tent...I also remember the many days of throwing unwanted cereal across the kitchen etc...my least fav. to clean up. Just know that this too shall pass! Just one of the many joys of young children...life would be so boring with out them ;)He sure is CUTE!!! Give everyone a big hug from VA!