Friday, June 03, 2011

I Love the Wind

Lately, we've had a consistent breeze here in the Mile High City. Not necessarily a blustery day like Pooh dealt with, but a mild wind, nothing strong enough to give you serious problems or ruin a picnic. Although I'm not out reveling in it, I'm enjoying it. I wouldn't be surprised to see the ghost of Patrick Swazye show up and start serenading me with "She's Like the Wind" on my back porch as I watch the sun go down. What could be better? 

But I've heard several people complain that this gentle caress of air is driving them nuts.

????

What's so bad about a breeze? Here are reasons why our recent air flow is a good thing. 
  1. Keeps the air fresh and the smog away making our skyline beautiful.
  2. Evening breezes help cool off the house reducing the need for AC and energy savings
  3. Saving energy saves the planet and makes you a good person regardless of how you live.
  4. Wind Turbines and tax dollars to build them are suddenly justified.
  5. The Bible says being born of the Spirit is like the Wind. (St. John 3:8). The Bible further references wind 158 times.
  6. The wind is a gentle reminder from God or the Universe (whatever you prefer) that he is still there even if you can't see him.
  7. Sports - Kite flying, sailing, wind surfing, hang gliding, parasailing, snowskiting and ice boating. Are you ready to give those up?
  8. Think of all the manual laborers grateful for a breeze to help cool them off as they perform back breaking labor.
  9. The Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker.
  10. A breeze for football players on a two-a-day in August is a gift indeed.
The list could go on an on, but I've made my point. Whether you are a member of the Green religion worried about your carbon footprint or Old School religion and worried about salvation, white collar, blue collar, athletic or artistic, you should love the wind.

And now to honor the wind I list the 10 greatest songs about the wind.


  1. "Wind of Change" - Scorpions
  2. "Dust in the Wind" - Kansas
  3. "She's Like the Wind" - Patrick Swazye
  4. "Summer Breeze" - Seals & Croft
  5. "Candle in the Wind" - (Sir) Elton John
  6. "Blowin in the Wind" - Peter Paul & Mary - Bob Dylan
  7. "Ride like the Wind" - Christopher Cross
  8. "Wind beneath my Wings" Bette Midler
  9. "Against The Wind," - Bob Seger
  10. "Rock you like a Hurricane" - Scorpions
The Scorpions make the list twice and are thus the greatest "Wind" band of all times. If you are still struggling with the wind, contact me and I'll send you a CD of the Top 10 Winds songs absolutely free!! You'll get that fine, breezy feelin back. I'll say it again: what could be better?

1 comment:

Daniel said...

What could be better, you ask? Jamming out to a wind song with a long-haired John Huntsman, while worshiping windmills.

When did Patrick Swayze start writing tunes?

And who are these people that dislike a gentle breeze? It's like disliking oxygen.