Sunday, April 03, 2011

Olympic Oafing


Traditional Running
Since my back recently healed I returned to working out with Dave at World of Beautiful Bodies. He informed me the gauntlet had been thrown at him to complete an Olympic Triathlon - which consists of a consecutive:
  • 0.93 mile swim
  • 24.8 mile bike ride 
  • 6.2 mile run
Some of you may remember I've done a few practice Spirit Triathlons which is the Olympic distance cut in half. Naturally I can't resist the challenge, so I broke out the Rocky music and started training. On Friday I took on the 1 mile swim in the pool and focused on limiting my use of legs to save them for the bike and run. Needless to say my upper body was on fire when I finished. Saturday morning I got up at 6AM, plotted out my six mile run and assaulted the course.

Or maybe the course assaulted me. If there is one thing I hate doing, its running. Most folks consider four general speeds or gears for bipedal human forward motion. Walking, jogging, running and sprinting. But during this run, I discovered I fit into a new classification:
  • Sprinting
  • Running
  • Jogging
  • Oafing - ME
  • Walking

Oafing
What exactly is Oafing? Imagine you are driving down the street and see some uncoordinated, has-been dude over 200 lbs moving slowly down the sidewalk. He isn't walking, but the pace is too slow to be jogging. His face is beat red and a mask of determined agony. You wonder if he is in trouble or disturbed. Before dialing 911, you figure whatever this guy's problem is, he'll stop moving soon and you drive on past. That my friends is what its like to witness OAFING.

Yes, I oafed my way to six miles with no walking and the quest for Olympic Glory has begun. Of course, that will all change once I buy my multi-purpose speedo to wear throughout the race. Until next time, happy oafing to all.

2 comments:

Jay said...

GL, man. I LOVE running. Still waiting for my strained ham string to heal (it's been 3 months now...) and I'll be back into the half-marathon thing... I could have fun with biking too... but swimming? Not into that.

Daniel said...

Thanks for describing oafing, I enjoyed the mental image.

Speaking of mental images, I request less speedo talk and an absolute prospective ban on any actual speedo images. Grass.