Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Wii in Review

Yes, I am breaking new ground once again, by discussing a new topic. Video Games. How many hours have I wasted/loved playing them? I'd guess 1 full year of my life. On to the game reviews. I'll rank the games I've played from from least to most beloved.

10. Wii Tamagochi. A kiddie popularity contest. We got it for free. I think they make people play this game in Hell.

9. Wii Princess. Disney Princess Stuff. No one gets hurt. Bought this for the kids. Enough said.

8. Winter Sports. The game control is detestable. I played it once and vowed to never touch it again. $10 spent, that could have gone to a trip to Casa Bonita.

7. Wii Play. This is a standard for most Wiiers as it comes with a controller. Most of the games are fun, but not great. Good to play with the kids. The one exception is the Tank Battles game. That makes the whole purchase worthwhile.

6. Super Smash Bros. This the equivalent of Wrestlemania with every popular and unknown Nintendo character ever. It's a good time, but a bit limited in moves. There is a story to play through, but this game just doesn't quite hold my interest. Great for group gatherings.

5. Wii Sports. This is great fun. However, the graphics stink and it feels like a promo for game developers. The Bowling, Tennis and Baseball offer hours of enjoyment and never seem to get old. The training modules are also fun to do. However, this is not much of a work-out and once you figure out things can be done with the flick of a wrist, the "athletic" side of playing video games goes out the window.

4. Metroid Prime 3 - Corruption. Still haven't finished this game, probably the best Metroid game I've played in terms of graphics, etc. Still is not the classic NES or SNES versions, but a worthy sequel. This game finally got me used to rotating my upper torso and walking in a different direction (this was the reason I could never play Halo). Thanks Samus! If you enjoy first person shooter games, this is probably one of the best available on the Wii.

3. Super Mario Galaxy. Wow. This game blows my mind. The 3D nature of the game is fantastic. Its simply very entertaining to play. Be forewarned, you'll get a kink in your neck from always trying to get a better look at the screen. Some people may hate this, but I love the challenge. Nothing new in the way of story or plot, but this is just pure gaming fun that anyone can enjoy. I highly reccomend it.

2. Mario Kart Wii. Tons of levels, fun music, best interactive family game ever. Wii love it!! (Ok go throw up now). Don't bother getting the Wii Wheels to play this unless your kids beg. Totally unnecessary. My advice, unlock all of the levels playing 50cc (easiest settings) so you have more courses to choose from. If you ever feel good about yourself, go online and play other people and return to the dust of humility. This is incredible bang for the buck and we'll be playing for years to come.

1. Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess. This is the game of my childhood - why I've lost a year of my life to VG. Obviously I'm partial to Zelda, which is probably why this is my #1, but what the heck? Its why I wanted the system in the first place. The graphics are not stellar, but better than any Zelda game yet. With Wii controlls, its now possible to swing your sword among a host of other cool, but inate functions of the game. The Temples are big and fun to discover. Great music, game control, puzzles and I really felt like I got immersed in the world of Hyrule like I never had before. I wish the first several games could be redone in this fashion. My only complaint is the enemies are too easy to defeat and many don't come back after you kill them. (Why reality on that???). One more complaint. I want more. How about a second quest?

4 comments:

Daniel said...

All you need to do now is to hook the C.A. up with a Wii so as to spread the love across the Continental Divide.

Rock Solid said...

I would imagine that you have spent more than one year of your life on video games.

Fletch said...

Update, I just played Lego Star Wars (the complete saga) and would say its good for kids and that's about it.

Daniel said...

Is LSW a video game??