Thursday, January 01, 2009

New Year Thoughts

I've had a few things bouncing around in my brain that I'll put down for therapy today.
  • New Year's is the time of setting goals and if you don't look at past performance it is hard to gauge realistic goals for the future. As I review the past I often find myself thinking "I wish I had done that better, known better, etc." Sometimes I hear the sentiment, "I have no regrets" and wonder how these people ever got to such a place and lived such a perfect life. Personally, I do have regrets, about many things and that's because I've made plenty of mistakes. Is that such a crime? It certainly fits into the negative attitude I often harbor. Despite all of that, I find some light at the end of the tunnel when I realize I don't regret anything I've learned from my mistakes. Yes, many lessons have been painful, but they have each given me a little more depth, understanding, patience and empathy. Of course it is better to not make mistakes at all, but to not learn from them would truly be a regretful thing. So my goal this year is to learn from the past, improve and have a life with no regrets.I'll spare the details in the interests of privacy and boredom.

  • Shannahan gets Sacked - This was truly a shocker. Am I sad? Yes. The "Mastermind" was the best coach in franchise history and gave us the golden era of Broncos football. I can still see Terrell Davis gaining 10 yards per run in devastating fashion. But those days are over and Shannahan is an average GM at best. He refused to give up that power and lost control of his team. It is time for a change. Perhaps fans are upset because they are scared of a 3 win season. Rightfully so, but it was clear we were not going to win another championship with him as GM/head coach. If you are not playing to win, why play at all? It was a very gutty move by Bowlen. I respect it, but only time will tell if he was a genius or an idiot.
  • Movie reccomendations - Ghost Town, 2 thumbs up in the sky. The Dutchess, 2 thumbs down in the manure. Its that simple on these two films.
  • I stumbled across a video from Rick Astley recently. I've heard this song before and figured it was a black singer due to the deep quality of the voice. Needless to say, I was shocked to see this dude singing (youtube won't let me embed) but its the pop-up version so it will have some fun facts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HrSN7176XI&feature=related. Classic 80s cringe material. This guy has a look that screams, "Punch me in the face and steal my lunch money." According to Rick's wikipedia site, I'm not the only one who thought he was a Milli Vanilli act. "During much of his career, due to his deep bass-baritone voice, many listeners assumed he was black. In one instance, the comedic entertainer Sinbad discussed him with a talk-show host, expressing his surprise that Astley was not "one of the brothers."
Alright, I've got 2009 off to a nice random start.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick Astley is a star; a legend and a great singer who unfortunately had his career die out due to a fear of flying. But that is no reason for us to forget him and the wonderful music he produced. Rick has come along way and has gone through two bands when he was younger until finally figuring that he could do it on his own. He made a huge success with his singing and people loved him – people old and young and many still think today that Rick Astley is one of the greatest singers to ever be discovered.

He is one of those legends that will never die out, even though he no longer makes music, in years to come people will still be playing and enjoying his music. He is even said to be making a comeback, but we won’t know for sure until we see it with our own eyes.

So eat it you hater. Rick is the bomb.

Daniel said...

Dude, did you have an actual family member ferret you out? I guess you'd better be careful whom you tread on, eh?

Daniel said...

Fword, if you hit me with another one of your pretend comments, I'm going to have to kick your trash!

Daniel said...

Actually, after actually going to that website and seeing where you copied and pasted the text, it's pretty funny. I can't believe you took me in again! Stone and Froman have nothing on me.

Just don't tell me any stories about knife fights in parking lots or I'll probably have my jaw-drop in mesmerized acceptance.

Fletch said...

I can't wipe the grin off my face. These are the moments!!!