Sunday, August 28, 2016

Stranger Things - My New Retro Obession

Like everyone else, I've embraced the zeitgeist surrounding Stranger Things on "Netflakes." This show was love at first note. That theme song and opening sequence hooked me like handcuffs slapped on by T.J. Hooker himself.

I love the 80s. I loved that stupid VH1 show too. Feathered hair cuts, mustaches, aqua net bangs, the NBA, cheesy action films, aerobics and more. But today I celebrate the return of of synth music. Perhaps the greatest musical contribution of the decade. So I had to get more of my theme song and found this song on Soundcloud. It must be experienced or you are dead to me.




OK. That was awesome. But it gets better. Thanks to the link above I discovered a retro synth artist known as Timecop1983. Check it out. Bodaciously radical. Ferris would approve.


  
While I'm thinking about Time Cop, some of you may remember this was a JCVD film back in the day (Jean Claude Van Dame). Here is a review of Bloodsport that employs a matrix for analyzing all of his films. Its simply brilliant. 

5.0 out of 5 stars - The one that put JCVD on the map!
ByJasonVINE VOICEon August 30, 2008

The Jean Claude Van Damme Review Matrix (JCVD-RM) 
  1. Who is he? Frank Dux, American martial arts expert
  2. Which family member/friend must be avenged? His friend Ray gets beatdown and ends up in the hospital
  3. Does he take his shirt off? He has his shirt off nearly the entire movie
  4. Does he have sex with a C-List actress? Yes. Some cute, but anonymous blond.
  5. Is there a tournament? Only the baddest tournament in the world: The Kumite
  6. Is training needed for this tournament? No...he's already awesome
  7. Does he do the splits in training or in the tournament? Several times
  8. Does he punch someone in the balls? Let's just say he puts an unfortunate sumo wrestler's balls about a foot higher than normal
  9. Does he do a series of flying or 360 kicks? Yes, and nobody dodges them
  10. Is his enemy unbeatable? Chong Li (Bolo Yeung) holds all the records, has killed people in the tournament, and makes other black belts wet themselves...so, yeah
  11. Does he overcome an injury or other hindrance? Chong Li throws salt in his eyes and Dux is blinded
  12. Does he win? Not only does he win, but he forces Chong Li to say matte

Happy 80s Retro Synth to all of you and I'm impressed if you managed to keep reading this far.

3 comments:

Rooster said...

ok - its been a while since I read this.... but seriously, when did you ever NOT have an affinity for all things 80s....???

Fletch said...

Stranger things was an obession because I have ALWAYS cherished the 80s. Like Snape and Lilly. Its that deep and intense. Sort of.

Daniel said...

"After all this time?" "Always."

Man alive. Speaking of time, I might need to find a new way to alert me to your horcrux updates because I'm in Feedly fairly infrequently, these days.