Monday, March 24, 2014

Quarter of a Quartet

I don't do much singing outside the ward choir, but last night I participated in musical fireside within a quartet performing "I Love the Lord." Its an arrangement of the hymn most know as "Be Still My Soul", but with the words replaced from the "psalm" of Nephi (see 2NE 4). Its a beautiful song and I hope we did it justice. (As you know, no one would really tell us if we stunk up the joint or blew the key change). Of course, the one time I have a brief solo in church, the words are: "Yet oft I groan, O wretched man am I; my flesh is weak, and I'm encompassed by, a world of sin." I thought I saw a lot of heads nodding in the audience.

I've often been grateful over the years that my mother made me sing in high school choirs (Men's Chorus / Meistersingers) so I could play football. Its been a gift that has lasted well beyond the meat-headed days of my youth and I'll always be grateful she had the courage to be a parent who expected her children to use their talents... even if he still can't read music. The video below is from a performance of this song in General Conference if you want to hear something similar to what we did.  

No comments: