Sunday, June 29, 2008

Viva la Ambition

Like my subject, I'm going into new territory. I usually blog on movies and books or insane predictions, but I'd like to touch on another medium of art, music. Like many who have hit the age of 30, I've begun to think all good music was from my generation (decade of my teenage years) or the ones that went before. To put it bluntly, I think the general state state of contemporary rock/pop stinks. Most of it is a rip-off of old sounds, fashioned in a new way. Are there great bands and artists out there today? Absolutely, and I intend to discuss one. Coldplay.

I would not say I'm a serious fan of the group. Heck, I can't even name the other three members of the band outside of Chris Martin, the lead singer. I don't give a rip about their politics either. However, it is the one band I've gone to see in concert in a long time. I was not a big fan of their first hit "Yellow" and had forgotten the band existed until I heard "The Scientist" on headphones at the record store back in 02 or 03. I barely recognized the name of the band, but loved the music and have since listened to what they put out. I think what I enjoy most about them is their "soaring" sound, and lyrics that usually abstain from teen angst or fornication. As a former metal head, this is great easy listening music with some soul and intelligence.

I recently purchased Coldplay's most recent album, Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends. I had heard the band tried to expand their range and do new things musically, playing in Spanish Cathedrals, different instruments, new sounds...and the results are wonderful.

Did everything go well? No. Regrettably, there are a few tracks on the album that are not their finest moments. But on a whole, I think the change in their sound is impressive, while still keeping their roots. I've read they have been roundly criticized for not branching out and it appears they took their critics seriously. OK, let's cut to the chase. If you don't intend to buy the album (which is completely fine in my opinion) here are some tracks to download should this band be your cup of hot chocolate.

1. Life in Technicolor - Instrumental, short. It sets the tone well for their undertaking, like a new day dawning.

5. Lovers in Japan / Reign of Love - This stuff hearkens back to their older sound, but with a certain care free rhythm. It stops in the middle and moves to a wonderful soft piano ballad. They could be (should be) stand alone tracks, but whatever. Good bang for the buck on a download.

7. Viva la Vida - This is the one from the itunes ad. Very catchy, and a complete departure from conventional rock. Violins and symphony are the main characters, with an upbeat tempo. I have no intention of analyzing the lyrics. I enjoy this track for its fresh new sound, something hard to come by these days.

9. Strawberry Swing - Here is the sleeper on the album and my favorite track. Once again, it has a new sound and has a wonderful progression from simple themes to a full charge of joyful energy. It reminds me of playing at the pool or park as a kid, running with all of my old friends from the neighborhood in the thick of summer without a care in the world. I hope my children will know many such days.

10. Death and All His Friends - Once again, good progression music that does remind me of earlier works, but a different feel. It wraps up with a refrain of "Life in Technicolor" signaling to me the the band felt the entire album was a complete work and concept.

Oh and by the way, the name of the album, translated to "Long live life!" came from a painting done by Frida Kahlo (mono-brow chick) below. I guess once you eat a really tasty watermelon, you want to jump for joy and proclaim your happiness or make an ambitious rock album. That's one awesome watermelon.

4 comments:

Collette Jeffs said...

Huh, I don't think I have ever listened to coldplay yet but will have to give it a go. Thanks for the post :) .

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed catching up on the 'ole fletch blog! Your predictions are right on, and the Arnold Swarzeneggar anti-christ link is hilarious.

Daniel said...

The sad thing is that I'm eight years younger than you and even more detached from music. Boo hoo. I have enjoyed Cold Play myself, although admittedly the only song of theirs that I recognize is the clock business.

As regards Frida Kahlo, you must be getting cultured to know about ole' mono. The funny thing is that I've read at least a passage or two about her on actual LSATs. Small world.

Paz.

Seth Jenson said...

Well said! I love their new album. They have an incredible sound that makes me feel almost euphoric sometimes.