Friday, February 02, 2007

TOP 10 CHURCH FILM MOMENTS

I got thinking about his the other day with my esteemed co-worker and decided this would be fun. Here are my top 10 favorite moments in all Church/Mormon cinema.

10. Family First:

[Dad] "Let's all play Chinese Checkers!"
[Kids & Mom] "No! Let's jump on the trampoline!!"
Dad frowns, followed by them all holding hands and jumping in a circle on the trampoline. Hilarious moment. You'll have to watch it again. The dad playing basketball with his kid after getting fired was pretty good too.

9. Our Heavenly Father's Plan:

The narrator guy in this cracks me up with his camping antics. Here are some of my favorite things he does (they have to be combined for this list):
-Drinks from a stream with is hand and wipes his mouth from the elbow all the way to the hand.
-Does a massive nostril flare after saying a prayer.
-Fries fish during an important speech.

8. God's Army:

Richard Dutcher throwing the table after the Elder bolts to go home. I think this was the first time anyone put a missionary doing something really crazy on film. I have it here for sheer originality and shock value to me when it happened.

7. Together Forever:

[Bow-tie Dad] "And pretty soon the women and the office start looking better and better and your family starts looking worse and worse and before you know it? Boom. You've lost everything" - I just like the line. What can I say? I did a parody of this on my mission:
"Pretty soon the picture of your girlfriend starts looking better and better and your companion starts looking worse and worse and before you know it? Boom. You're going home."

6. Singles Ward:

[Kirby] "I'm going to Boise Idaho...I'm going to BOISE IDAHO!!!"
The dance that follows was great.

5. Book of Mormon Movie:

I hate to say it, but I was honestly embarrassed walking out of the theater. But what really capped this off was Laman and Lemuel growling into the fire. I laughed out loud (LOL for you texters). This was a fantastic unintentional comedy moment.

4. Charlie:

In my humble opinion (IMHO - texters), this is probably the most well made film in terms of serious acting, dialog, etc. I don't have any one particular moment, just an overall good film that surprised me and then made me shed a (much restrained) tear or two.

3. Cipher in the Snow:

When that kid finished building his snowman with a horizontal piece of chewing gum, it gave the snowman a look that said "suicide". I have rarely felt compelled to laugh and cry with pity at the same time, but this one did it. Actually, the whole film could be one of the most emotionally confusing things I've ever seen.

2. The Prodigal Son:

[Older Brother] "I've been the good guy! --- I'VE BEEN THE GOOD GUY!!"
I love this for its comedy, but it does teach a powerful lesson about pride, and everyone needing Christ. Great moment.

1. Christ's Ministry in the Book of Mormon Seminary Video / Helam meets Christ in the Testaments

I put these two together since they are roughly about the same thing. Both are basically silent, but powerful. Goes beyond words to describe, but I guarantee you'll feel the spirit when you watch it.

1 comment:

Jay said...

I guess I'm just not up on Mormon culture. I've seen like none of these movies. (and by none I mean 2).