Friday, May 25, 2012

Splitting Your Soul - Preached from the Pulpit!

For some of you this post may be difficult to read because like Hairless Potter, you don't want to become HE WHO MUST NOT BE NAMED. 

If so, stop reading now; but I assure you the damage is already done. Take your blue pill and go home. 


But for the rest, I've found proof of this blog's power as a Horcrux (http://fletchword.blogspot.com/search?q=the+truth+about+this+blog) preached from the Pulpit at BYU. Listen to the magic of Sister Jensen's words:
 In very real ways, communication technologies allow us to project our bodies (or our souls) across vast geographies. The very nature of “our presence” is rapidly changing and expanding. As with all things here in our second estate (see Abraham 3:26), there are some spiritual disadvantages of these new abilities that stand in opposition to their obvious rewards. 
Please know that I am not speaking of theoretical or metaphysical notions. Rather, I am speaking of very practical and actual effects that I know you and I have experienced. For example, my texting or emailing before and even during a devotional has an effect on my presence here. My iPhone enables me to divide my presence. While I might be seated here, part of my attention—part of my soul—is back at the office, where the concerns of the email I am reading are properly housed. Another part of my soul is in the company of the person I am texting—inevitably miles away from the location of my ears. Such a disbursement of my soul has prevented me on occasion from participating in a devotional with my complete presence, and I have learned that receiving a message through the Spirit is dependent upon my willingness to listen to that message with my whole soul. http://speeches.byu.edu/reader/reader.php?id=13787&x=57&y=4 
However, I am curious to hear what some of you (the three of you) think on this subject. Are you really splitting your soul temporarily when making a long distance phone call, face time, texting, etc? Does it require your live attention for the split to be real? Or would home movies and photos, etc. not count? And am I going to be the next Super-Villan to SCORPIO and his sub-nemesis Albus Severus Potter?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds intriguing!
I'll be back!

Rooster said...

Ok....so doesn't this raise the whole omnipresence conundrum? Let's not call God he who must not be named...unless you are of the old Jewish belief (another uncanny note)...this is quickly going the wrong direction.

Interesting question though. I wonder if revelation isn't clearer when your mind isn't preoccupied by any other thought. Mind like water. completely focused and still. Men have probably been struggling with this one for ages.

Ravi Zacarias said...

You think splitting your soul is acceptable? Just what I'd expect from a Pagan cultist. This is why the Internet and all technology are so evil. They divide your attention and essence from God so Satan can easily destroy a house divided. Join me this year as I witness to souls like you bound for an eternity of hellfire! Quit seeking to split your soul, abandon all technology and follow me at my new compound in Montana where we can live as true disciples on the bounty of the land. €25,000 initiation fee. Act now as space in the heated bunker is limited!

Anonymous said...

Is this some dumb attempt to justify a double life with your 2nd family in Texas as long as you call and face time often enough with them?

You make me sick! Isn't one family enough? Are you running a ponzi scheme to pay for everything?I thought native Coloradans hated Texas anyways? Remember how we swore we'd never marry women California or Texas? you broke the oath man and now the lies are going to catch up with you and I won't shed a tear after you light yourself on fire wearing nothing but butter on the steps of the state Capitol near the 5,280 marker. You may be a mile closer to heaven, but you are only going down from there.

Lord V said...

You mean I could have split my soul without killing someone??? Doh!!

Daniel said...

Good times. I was intrigued to note I was familiar with the text of the talk you quoted, although I forget where I came across it . . .

I think it's like eating a Reese's or cooking top Ramen. I.e., everyone has his own way of splitting his soul. I like to split mine by reading this blog and occasionally depositing a piece inside it.

I'm pleased with your shout-out to Scorpio and Albus Severus. Well done, Vmart F-word, well done.